What's new

Re: Japanese Upper House Election 2004

Hiroshi66

先輩
17 May 2004
As we all know (or should know ;)), Japan's Upper House Election takes place on Sunday, July 11, 2004. The top issues on voter's minds are pension plans, revision of the Constitution, and also Iraq. Here are what all the major parties believe.

Liberal Democratic Party (conservative)
Ruling Party
Largest Party
Pro-Iraq, Pro-Revision, Pro-Pension Reform

Democratic Party of Japan (liberal, social-democratic)
Opposition Party
2nd Largest Party
Anti-Iraq, Anti-Revision, Anti-Pension Reform

Clean Government Party (conservative, theocratic buddhist)
Ruling Party
3rd Largest Party
Pro-Iraq, Pro-Revision, Pro-Pension Reform

Communist Party of Japan (moderate communist)
Opposition Party
4th Largest Party

Social Democratic Party (social-democratic, populist)
Opposition Party
5th Largest Party

If the DPJ wins, it will likely become the largest party. It also promises to order Prime Minister Koizumi to withdraw from Iraq, or to force elections. This thread can be a basic information thread where we can update with any info, and perhaps even results once the big day comes.

Well, the final results of the election are in.

These are the seats being contested in July's election. Basically, the seats up for grabs.

Democratic Party of Japan 50
Liberal Democratic Party 49
New Komeito Party 13
Japanese Communist Party 5
Social Democratic Party 2
Non-Partisans 5

These are the total Upper House seats.

Liberal Democratic Party 114
Democratic Party of Japan 79
New Komeito Party 24
Japanese Communist Party 9
Social Democratic Party 5
Non-Partisans 12

I am a conservative, and thus support the LDP. My party did well in the long run. We still have a majority in the Sangiin. In the contested seats, we got 1 seat less than the DPJ. Which is still good. The DPJ did good, and really, good for them. NKP got all it wanted, as did the SDP. The JCP was too optimistic, but at least they didn't lose any seats. Great for the Non-Partisans.

NOTE - I apologize I did not post this in this forum in the first place. Gomen nasai. I didn't even know there was a Politics forum. Thanks to the mod who moved it. Arigatou gozaimasu! =)

Back
Top Bottom