What's new

Native vs non-native Japanese teachers

Hiroshi66

先輩
17 May 2004
Note - This topic is not racist if some of you think that. I just want to know if a Japanese teacher would be best at the elementary level or if a non-Japanese teacher wouldn't make a difference.

Okay - I was going to take Japanese 1 at a local community college in Spring 2005, but I found out that the teacher was an American teacher, not a Japanese one. Last Fall, 2004 - I researched and found the class was taught by a Japanese lady. If the college does the same thing for Fall 2005 - it will be taught by this same lady.

Do you guys think that I should take Japanese 1 in the Spring with the American teacher or should I wait till the Fall and take it with the Japanese teacher - even though I'm not sure if she'll teach the class or even if the class will be offered?

Please state why you think so and the pros and cons.. I really need your help with this! Its really important to me - as I am going to university in Japan in a few years and I need to know perfect Japanese.. so please be detailed! ^^

Thanks!

Since you're only taking Japanese 1, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could probably learn plenty from either teacher. Sometimes, in the beginning, it's good to have a teacher who speaks your language to help explain things to you. But as your level gets higher, it may be advantageous to have a native Japanese teacher. Good luck.

Thanks - Brooker.

I am in no way being racist as some other people accused me of being on other message boards - I am just asking if it is neccessary at this level to have a native Japanese teacher or a non-Japanese teacher.. but you answered my question.

Thanks for your time!

I took my first semester with an English speaking teacher, it was helpful when trying to get certain things explained like verbs, tenses (Which I still have a problem with) and other questions.

Well, this teacher does know English - I presume - and she may even be Japanese-American - I'm just not sure. The thing is that its not really Japanese vs. Non-Japanese rather some other issues.
Perhaps I should add that another reason I'm wondering whether I should take this in the Fall or the Spring is because Japanese 2 usually isn't offered in the Fall. When it is offered in the Spring - the same teacher who gave us Japanese 1 in the Fall, the Japanese lady, teaches the class. So we won't have to adjust to a new instructor or a new style of learning - while If I take it in the Spring, I will have to wait a year before I take the next class. Is your answer still the same?

There is just about no reason that I see other than the teachers teaching ability (and skill of the language) to wait to take the course with the Japanese teacher. Especially considering you are taking only the first level of Japanese. Keep in mind, that just because the teacher is Japanese and can speak the language extremely well, does not mean that they can TEACH the language well. Think of how well you can explain the basics of English grammar to a student just for example? Most of us just "know" what sounds right, and that is little use to someone who doesn't even have a vocabulary above 50 words in our language. Someone who's native language is NOT Japanese and has studied it from the perspective that you are about to learn from, may be better able to explain the details at the start.

However, even all these statements are just assumptions. It depends on the teacher, if the first doesn't turn out to be good take the second next semester. Eitherway if you learn the material, then you will be at the second level next semester.

If you want to learn Japanese, learn Japanese and take the class. You are creating and issue at this point.

I dont see much different either taking the native teacher or the teacher from your country(as for me, a malaysian), I've taken beginneer 1 from both teacher. and from that experience, I've to say that the teacher from your country that teaches Japanese in your own language is more informative,(as in I learnt more about Japan rather just language from the Japanese native teacher, and she's can speak english, and malay quite good and married to a malaysian).

err.. Heres what I'm trying to say, [Your Nationality]'s teacher probably knows more and probably tells you more about Japan in [Your Nationality]'s perspective. Like my teacher told me about how long it took him to familiarize with the language.(it took him 3 month and he couldnt understand what his lecturer was saying at all, since he learnt Japanese over here) and how other people from your country lives over there. etc etc.(but that depends on the teacher I guess). My native japanese teacher is more into teaching the language and talks less about her country. But that just my experience, and if you just want to learn the language, either of them are fine, its just the beginneer stuff, but I would recommend a native Japanese teacher at intermediate or above level.

Rio

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys, yet again.

I think I see what you mean. Having an English-speaker would relate to you more about settling in Japan and where people speaking English reside.. and how that certain instructor was treating, etc. However, a Japanese-speaker would probably relate more where a certain speech is used in (IE - is [word] used more in Nagatcho or Roppongi,etc.).

I dunno.

This is only Japanese 1, you aren't going to run into major class changing effects of having a native speaker or not in your class at this level. Just take the class. It's not like you have one chance to start out "right" with a native speaker and will never deal with native speakers again. I think you are trying to assume and plan far too much about things you haven't even had an example of.

Not everyone has a chance to take Japanese at their school or college, but you've got one. So take it! It isn't something you can study and learn in one semester by any means and will probably take over 4 years of hard study. That is if you continue that far, or even have classes that go that high!

Besides, you're not going to have a clue what either teacher is saying in Japanese at the beginning anyway.

I have to agree with Emoni on this one, why make an issue out of it. As a matter of fact, your pretty fortunate to have Japanese taught at your institution; there are lots of schools where the language isn't offered.

My teacher in highschool was of Japanese and American decent. But the facts she gave about the culture were too superficial. Don't worry about it. I'm american. I could probably teach the class just fine to you. If there person is native Japanese they will speak with engrish and you may be more confused. It's a win-lose situation.

I thank you all for your comments. Both teachers have been educated in Japan, but I was leaning more towards taking it with the native speaker for a few other reasons.

One of them is that Japanese 2, the class you take after this (its prerequisite is Japanese 1) is usually not offered in the Fall semester. It is offered in the Spring usually and is taught by the native teacher. Therefore - if I take 1 in the fall and 2 in the Spring with the Japanese teacher - I'll have the same teacher for both classes and won't wait a whole year between the classes so I will remember what I learned in 1. Also, the teacher will be the same and I won't be trying to get accustomed to a new teaching style.

Secondly - though the non-native teacher will be more helpful and kind of an inspiration, I need the challenge. If I will be living in Japan, I think that I need to get challenged early on - even if it is Elementary Japanese.

I still need some thinking to do. Until then - please keep the posts coming - and thanks! ^^

I think you're worrying about this way too much. Unless one of the teachers is really horrible, it doesn't matter. Just sign up for whatever semester fits your schedule best. As long as you attend all the classes and do the homework you'll be fine.

m477 - I tend to be a perfectionist about stuff like this - which is bad, I know. I'll sleep on it and think about it later on and see what fits me best. Thanks.

Secondly - though the non-native teacher will be more helpful and kind of an inspiration, I need the challenge. If I will be living in Japan, I think that I need to get challenged early on - even if it is Elementary Japanese.
I don't think that is a valid assumption at all. I've never taken a course, but have known of native teachers that only used the most perfunctory methods (worksheets, tapes, etc), never spoke to the class in Japanese or encouraged conversation and were rated very poorly by students in terms of knowledge gained. Your best bet is to try and find out more about their teaching styles from former students or colleagues rather than these stereotypes for what you think might make a good teacher.

Thank you, Elizabeth. I suppose I was being a bit narrow-minded. I do need to do research on teaching styles, etc. Thanks though.

Being a perfectionist can be very good, and impress people by the work it results in at times. However, sometimes (like this time) it can be misdirected into a lot of effort towards nothing. Last thing I'll say on thsi topic, but save all this time, energy and time worrying on studying JAPANESE when you take whatever course you take, or at least spend it studying ahead of the class you will be taking. For example you could be studying Hiragana and making your first semester much easier by a LOT (as you can spend your time in other areas such as sentence structure). This will do far more between picking two teachers, a task that doesn't matter at this point in the least.

You're literally creating roadblocks for yourself in a language that is already hard. If you keep that up, you'll take much longer. Part of learning a language is just going gungho for it, and ignoring the preconceptions to understanding ideas you are not familiar with.

Consider this your first test in the language. Don't let it hamper your progress as you are currently.

(Please note: These comments come from personal experience making THESE mistakes myself, and sometimes I still do!)

Hiroshi66 said:
Thank you, Elizabeth. I suppose I was being a bit narrow-minded. I do need to do research on teaching styles, etc. Thanks though.
Learning one of the world's most difficult languages definately calls for more personal initiative than focus on what a professor can provide. Even gettting through the four year series of courses required for a college major is no guarantee. Most likely you'd still barely be able survive in Japan.

Emoni ~ I am doing just that. Today I began studying kanji - apparently we will be learning 36 kanji with either teacher. Therefore, I began learning 16 basic kanji and writing them on flashcards. By the time I enroll in Japanese I (if I do it in the fall with the Japanese teacher) I want to learn the kana syllabery and at least 50 kanji - which will basically fulfill the requirement of any writing we do in all of Japanese 1 and half of Japanese 2. Thank you for your helpful insight.

Elizabeth ~ That's true. My major is probably going to be, in Japan, Japanese History. But as for my own initiative - my post to Emoni should say enough. Thank you as well for your isnight. ^^

Hiroshi66 said:
Emoni ~ I am doing just that. Today I began studying kanji - apparently we will be learning 36 kanji with either teacher. Therefore, I began learning 16 basic kanji and writing them on flashcards. By the time I enroll in Japanese I (if I do it in the fall with the Japanese teacher) I want to learn the kana syllabery and at least 50 kanji - which will basically fulfill the requirement of any writing we do in all of Japanese 1 and half of Japanese 2. Thank you for your helpful insight.

I have never seen a Japanese I class where you would read or write any kanji? Usually they start out with romaji and work you into hiragana and then katakana. Are you sure that you will be learning kanji?

Apparently - I looked at the site of the American teacher's syllabus (for the same course in 2001 - I presume the Japanese teacher's will be teh same) for Japanese 1 and they learn the kana in the beginning of the year - and then gradually throughout the year work on 36 basic kanji. Not to mention speaking skills. But yea, both kana syllabaries and 36 kanji.

I believe you, I was just a little shocked that's all. But now that I think about it you probably will learn a few basic Kanji. I took two courses through the University here and they didn't introduce any kanji, but we focused on reading hiragana/katakana, writing, and speaking. Kanji doesn't begin here until the third course. To go to the original question, I had a native speaker for both classes (same teacher) and I think that I would have preferred an English speaking teacher for Level I, two didn't matter since everything in the class was done in Japanese. All reading was in Japanese, as all of our written assignments, tests, etc...were to be done in Japanese as well, and we were expected to (at least try) speak in Japanese. But the nationality of the speaker really shouldn't make a difference for a level I class. Your motivation and dedication will make the difference!

Back
Top Bottom