What's new

Racial hatred is biased and foolish

Tonysoong

先輩
2 May 2005
It's a pity that we see mutual hostility between the two Asian powers sustained so many years after the foolish war and its atrocities despite the fact that both nations do expect to improve bilateral relations.

Why is Sino-Japanese relationship so feeble that a very small incident could serve its deterioration, despite the efforts of many Japanese as well as those of many Chinese?

I am here not to comment on Sino-Japanese relationship. but to try to reveal how hatred towards the Japanese has been sustained for over half a century here in China (perhaps in South Korea as well) from the perspective of an average Chinese, whose fathers fought fiercely for national dignity against the Japanese invaders, of course with generous aids and assistance from your fathers.

The history textbook incident is just the immediate cause of the protests and some violence reported in the many cities in China recently. Beyond that are a number of interrelated facts or factors accounting for such durable confrontation between the Chinese and the Japanese-----

1) Repeated Japanese harassments in history even prior to their atrocity in World War II, together with Chinese history text-books highlighting national heroes standing firm in face of cruel Japanese invaders. So what the Chinese younger generation know about the Japanese is largely that they are a people with whom we have feud. In fact the problem with China's education does not only concerns Sino-Japanese relationship, but also affects how youngsters view China. Education is severely distorted to cater to CCP dictatorship and will ultimately undermines the Chinese nation's reason.

2) The Japanese, as a pagan nation like the Chinese, lack the ethic of repentance, thus are unlikely to win forgiveness from neighbors as the Germans have from their neighbors, while the Germans have won forgiveness with their sicerity, wisdom and courage.

3) The average Chinese people envy the Japanese as a nation having inflicted atrocities upon us for their prosperity and seek to curb them as a power seeking to revive their millitarism.

4) The Japanese, after their successful transplant of western civilization in Japan, now tend to look on indigenous Asian culture, of which Japanese culture is a cpmponent part, as inferior to western civilisation.

Adding to the above, the

While on the Japanese side, they may feel that the Chinese are too fussy over what is past, complaining that although mainstream Japanese society, since normalisation of bilateral democratic relations in 1972, have always been willing to help China develop its economy partly in repentence for their war atrocities, (though Japan also benefits from China's economic revival). But the Chinese always feel that the Japanese have done far from enough.

Personally, I do feel helpless about this situation. Perhaps both peoples need to wake up to the fact that hatred and confrontation have always served deterioration of matters and that wisdom, good-willedness and tolerance are vital. .

Thanks

now, i read the term "textbook" fifty times or even 300 times.

why always textbook, what about cd-rom, encyclopedia britannica or the internet?

why they bore about one textbook which war stories?

why not put a sticker on this book: "war is not desireable"

it would be greatly appreciated by the chinese.

this is such a little thing, just a sticker. why they are not making it, today, right now?

sure, japanese minsister has alread issued in interview, that "invasion" is not desireable anymore. would it require too great effort to fit the books with sticker: "war is not desireable"?

you let me know...

alexriversan said:

why always textbook, what about cd-rom, encyclopedia britannica or the internet?

this is such a little thing, just a sticker. why they are not making it, today, right now?

sure, japanese minsister has alread issued in interview, that "invasion" is not desireable anymore. would it require too great effort to fit the books with sticker: "war is not desireable"?

you let me know...

Because a simple sticker like that would be a huge insult. This is not just about one little event, it is about the refusal to admit the value of even one human life. To just deny the responsibility of making so many people suffer is in my opinion one of the most irresponsible and immature things ever. It's almost dehumanizing in that such an event is treated with such a cold shoulder. Can we really tack on an insincere sticker as a half-hearted apology?

lastmagi said:
Because a simple sticker like that would be a huge insult. This is not just about one little event, it is about the refusal to admit the value of even one human life. To just deny the responsibility of making so many people suffer is in my opinion one of the most irresponsible and immature things ever. It's almost dehumanizing in that such an event is treated with such a cold shoulder. Can we really tack on an insincere sticker as a half-hearted apology?
it is an important piece of information. history books should be there for illustrative purpose. it has nothing to do with apologizing, it is concerning potential new wars. these are not desireable.

from the viewpoint of the ancient military persons, the wars were desireable.

Your cynicism may have stemmed from your boredom

alexriversan said:

you let me know...

I can understand, dear alexriversan, that you as an outsider may easily get bored by seeing the Chinese and Japanese dwelling so long on the text-book issue. Any way, we are not dwelling on Hitler's conquest of France.

The Japanese can't have been so foolish as not to have thought of something like a sticker, if a sticker works.

Cynicism doesn't help.

Back
Top Bottom