What's new

R.I.P Black Isle Studios

Marc

先輩
30 Mar 2003
Today, the greatest RPG game developer had its doors closed by Interplay.

Damien Foletto, Black Isle Studios' lead designer, left a message this morning at forums.interplay.com:

"Today was my last day at the (former) BIS, as it was for my whole team. I just wanted to say farewell to the best fans in the industry, and thanks for all the great feedback and support. I don't know where I'll end up, but know that we were all avid gamers and wanted to make the PC games that not only we wanted to play, but also the fans. But this isn't goodbye. Puuk will still flow through various boards (even this one, but without the BIS logo), and I still look forward to shooting ideas back and forth with my fellow gamers.

All of you take care and have a great holiday.

Damien Foletto.
"

John Deiley, another BIS designer, also left his note:
"Today marks the end of an era. Black Isle Studios is no more. In yet another sweeping layoff of employees, Interplay has officially let go the last of it's Black Isle employees (save two that I know of) and dissolved the division. Also, the non-announced title that the division was working on, Fallout 3, has been "shelved" to quote management.

If you still think Final Fantasy is hardcore RPG, maybe you should check out some of BIS games. My recommendations are:
- Planescape: Torment
- Baldur's Gate 1 & Baldur's Gate 2
- Icewind Dale 2
- Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 (best cyberpunk RPG ever)

Black Isle Studios was:
Scripters:
* Chad Nicholas
* Chris French
* Chris Heidari

Designers:
* John Deiley
* Damien Foletto
* Jeff Husges

Artists:
* Dany Martinez
* Vera Milosavich

Programmers:
* Jake Devore
* Yuki Furumi
* Mark Murakami
* Dave Vodhanel

Producers:
* Tom French
* Kevin Osburn

That's a really disappointing outcome for a company that was one of the best and most consistent developers out there.

To all developers and support staff at BIS: 🙂

No Fallout 3?!?! Doh... I really loved that series and was eagerly anticipating a sequel to 2. That's a shame really that they had to fold like that. BIS produced some really top-notch stuff the last decade or so (I have owned every one of those games you listed above at some point in time, heh).

Hey! These guys were great! I loved their games. I hope they all have good luck in the future, with whatever they may do.

In which other RPG game you could be a Pr0n Star?!

:D Not telling which one. :D

Damn... Baldurs 2 was probably the best RPG I have ever played on a PC. And it had D&D rules.

:( I think I'll miss this company as much as I missed Microprose...

It's sad to see this game company closing, because they made some very fine games in the past like Baldurs Gate. I hope they will find good jobs at other gaming companies or somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom