What's new

Quick question on *Tipping*

Hayai

後輩
18 Mar 2004
Before I inform someone of something that was incorrect, the last time I checked, tips are not customarry in Japan, right? Someone said they went to a restaurant and it was 'taken out of their bill.' Is it possible that a restaurant would have done that, or is that a bunch of bull like I think it is. Thanks ^_^

They're not customary, but there ARE places where tips are accepted. What your friend may be referring to is a rather common occurrence when dealing with large groups, where a certain percentage of gratuity is automatically charged (at least that's how it works in the States).

"Someone" may have been referring to a service charge (it has a variety of names depending on the establishment) which is basically for the pleasure of entering the premises.

For example, if you go into an izakaya (Japanese bar), when you sit down, they usually bring a tiny bowl not much bigger than an eggcup with some kind of fairly unappetising mush in it. For this you'll get charged a small fee (normally a few hundred yen), which is generally considered somewhat obligatory. Technically you can refuse to pay it, but it would be considered very bad form. The fee isn't really for the food - it's just a charge for being there.

Tipping is not customary in Japan and it can even be insulting. Service staff in Japan do not see tips as part of their income so even if you attempt to tip, it won't be accepted in the same cultural context that it would in the states. You have to be very clear that you are not being condescending and treating the person as an inferior.

for the most part, tips are not accepted, and in many places, people will be fired for accepting them. The only time I had anyone accept a tip was after a drunken cab ride where I felt obliged to compensate the driver for my friend who'd been throwing up in a bag behind her for half the ride, and it was only after some pressuring that she finally accepted it.

The places where people normally would accept tips, I wouldn't dare go; like hostess bars or sex shops.

This isnt really relevant, but I like to tip for good service in any country, not excessively, as I dont want to offend, but a few dollars, or just the old 'keep the change'. Well in Korea if I tip, my friends will run back to the table and grab the money, and tell me off. So I have to do it super discretely... even then I have been chased down the road because I left a few hundred won on the table... whats funnier is that last week that happened, and instead of giving the money back to me, my friend grabbed it and put it in his pocket. Even though I had paid for lunch... strange boy.

nice gaijin said:
The places where people normally would accept tips, I wouldn't dare go; like hostess bars or sex shops.

Hostesses don't accept tips. They accept "gifts" ;-)

I wouldn't know about sex workers ;-) ;-) ;-)

I find tipping to generally only be widespread in America from what i hear, here in britain you dont really tip, in general, though it sometimes happens.

It only seems to be an expected almost obligatory thing in America.

So remember yanks, if a british tourist doesnt tip, dont take it personally. 😌

Spoken like a true Scot! ;-)

Try going out to a restaurant in London and not tipping. They'll spit in your soup the next time.

It was kind of hard to get used to as tipping is kind of expected here in the US. But I did get used to it and it was kind of nice knowing that I received excellent service and a tip was not required especially in a cab! Here in the US IT IS expected even though, more often than not, the service is below 3rd world level! If service is bad, I do not tip.

Back
Top Bottom