What's new

Quick question about this sentence

killerinsidee

先輩
14 Dec 2013
I saw this sentence on Denshi Jisho - Online Japanese dictionary and I was wondering how can this translation be valid - Find sentences - Denshi Jisho
Shouldn't it just be "I want to get closer in order to see the screen better." ? The odd part is the たい, I would be ok with the translation without it, but the たい is strange to me here. Maybe it means something like "In order to see the screen better, you would want to move a bit closer." ? Maybe it's just me, but generally using たい just by itself for someone other then the 1st person (without と、って、ようだ、がる、questions, etc.) seems wrong to me.

You are correct. The given translation is wrong. It seems that the translator misread it as 画面がもっと見えるように近づきなさい.

Great, thanks. I have 1 more question. I'll ask here so I don't make a new thread. What does the 自分の方から mean in なにかキッカケがないと自分の方からは近づけないです(from 威圧感があると近づきずらいですか? - Yahoo!知恵袋), also saw it here - だまされやすい人が自分の方から近づいてくること。Not exactly sure what it means. Also, is 近づけない the potential of 近づく or is it the other verb 近づける. Only difference I can see is the transitivity, so I'm guessing that if there's no object associated with it, it should be potential 近づく in the first example, meaning "can not approach / can not get close"?

By my own will, by myself, to be the first to do, or like that.

As for 近付けない, although the two forms (the negative potential of 近付く and the negative of 近付ける) are the same, it's the former there from the context.

Thanks again.
So a rough, literal TL of だまされやすい人が自分の方から近づいてくること。Would be "Gullible person approaching (by/from his own will)". And なにかキッカケがないと自分の方からは近づけないです would be "If there is no excuse/chance, (I) can't approach/go near (from my own will)?

Back
Top Bottom