What's new

Questions about the -te form

Tomii515

やった~!
16 Feb 2006
皆さん、こんにちは!よろしくお願いします!

Okay, so my question isn't about how to do the -te form; it's about a couple of its usages.

So I wanted to know what the meanings of the -te form, alone, do. I know some of them, and I also have a question about one.

1. Polite-informal command.
立って。
(Please) stand up.

2. Multiple activities.
6時に起きて、勉強しました。
I got up at 6 and studied.

lol. That's all i can think of... Hm. Well, anyways, my specific question was:

Using the -te form alone, does it make the verb... uhm, I don't know the grammatical term for it. But here's an example:

喫茶店の右で立って
Standing on the right of the cafe

I know that doesn't make much sense even in English, but for like writings or songs or something like that? Does it have that meaning? 😅

Also, would it work is something like this:

喫茶店の右で立って、コーヒーを飲みます。
Standing on the right of the cafe, I drink my coffee.

...or something like that. :p haha. I'm not sure about that, maybe you would have to use ~ながら instead of ~て.

Anyho, if there are any other uses of the -te form alone, please let me know what they are. If there are many, you don't have to list all of them... Just a couple, I guess.

-Tommy

On your first example, you said 喫茶店の右で立って. This doesn't mean standing on the right side of the coffee. By saying this, you are ordering someone else to stand on the right side of the coffeeshop.

On the second example, you should use ながら because you want to say you are drinking while you stand up. so it should go something like this... 喫茶店の右でコーヒーを飲みながら立っています。
Instead, what you're saying instead in the sentence 喫茶店の右で立って、コーヒーを飲みます。 is that you stand up and then you go drink some coffee.

Mauricio

Back
Top Bottom