What's new

Question words

Chouchoo

後輩
20 Nov 2011
Hello everyone!
smile.png

The reason I started this thread is because I am very confused about asking questions Genki hardly ever uses any, or if we have to ask, we ask about the verb and not about the noun. Example: 今、何をしていますか。 But we don't use any どこ or such question words. (Currently at Unit 16, and no question words were really mentioned...) And even many of the translators and dictionaries doesn't know these easy question words, even more, when I go to the sentence mode it's also quite confusing :(

There I can see: ここはどこですか。 But I saw in an anime: どこはここ?

I don't know a question word how to use it, I just saw sometimes どうして、どのように、どこ, translating them is OK. But when I searched for it's grammar it's confusing. Can their word order be changed as I have shown it in the example? And something more:
What is the difference between: 何か and 何が... >.<

Lastly, would you mind sharing the basic question words? And if possible, just a really short grammer, where should be the question words used?

I'm really sorry for asking such simple questions, I know it is embarrassing... And I know it is also a silly question, but I hope it is not overwhelming for anyone, or too much work. :(

Thank you very much for your help and the time you have spent for answering for me! ♥

But I saw in an anime: どこはここ?
You misread/misheard/misremembered the sentence. It MUST be ここはどこ.

What is the difference between: 何か and 何が
Roughly, something vs. what.

何がテーブルの上にあるの?/テーブルの上に何があるの?
What is on the table?

何かテーブルの上にあるの?/テーブルの上に何かあるの?
Is there something on the table?

would you mind sharing the basic question words?
何 is also an interrogative. :)

いつ: when
どこ/どちら/どっち: where
だれ/どちら/どなた: who
なに: what
なぜ/どうして: why
どう/どんな: how
どれ/どの/どちら:which
いくつ: how many
いくら: how much

Although the English translation changes depending on the context.

where should be the question words used?
hat totally depends on the context, but the interrogative pronoun is often put at the top of the sentence or the same place where the answer is put.

いつ日本に来たんですか?/日本に来たのはいつですか?
日本に来たのは先月です。

あれはどこに置けばいいですか?
あれはここに置けばいいです。

I'm sorry for the late reply, I was busy with school. Thank you so much for replying, you made so many things clear for me, thank you! :)

It MUST be ここはどこ

Oh, maybe it was so. That clears a few things, thank you very much! :)

Wow, so that's the difference between 何か and 何が!^_^ Can you use it in negative questions as well, for example:

何か食べませんか。Or shouldn't it be 何か食べたくないか。
Wouldn't you eat something? (I hope I translated well)

But this means, か and が particles can be used after interrogatives. I saw this in a song:
いつかは むかえる 最後を 思うよ。
From when ==> to someday, right?
Or like, from who ==> to somebody. But I don't think it can be used with が, or does it still make any sense?

Thank you so much for helping!! Really, thank you for everything ♥

Can you use it in negative questions as well, for example:

何か食べませんか。Or shouldn't it be 何か食べたくないか。
Wouldn't you eat something? (I hope I translated well)
Yes, you can use it but 何か食べませんか is more likely "Will you have something to eat?"

But this means, か and が particles can be used after interrogatives. I saw this in a song:
いつかは むかえる 最後を 思うよ。
From when ==> to someday, right?
Or like, from who ==> to somebody. But I don't think it can be used with が, or does it still make any sense?
いつが誕生日ですか?(= 誕生日はいつですか?)
When is your birthday?

Back
Top Bottom