What's new

Question regarding "上層," "下層," "層," & "階層"

30 Jul 2019
Could you say "Upper/Lower Floors" for "上層" and "下層" or would "層" only be used for "layer(s)" and "level(s)?"
Additionally, can "第1階層" / "第一階層" be translated as "1st/First Floor" or would you only use "階層" to say things like "level," "layer" and "stratum?"
Lastly, on a somewhat unrelated note, what would be the best way to translate "封印の間," perhaps "Sealed Chamber?"

Could you say "Upper/Lower Floors" for "上層" and "下層" or would "層" only be used for "layer(s)" and "level(s)?"
Additionally, can "第1階層" / "第一階層" be translated as "1st/First Floor" or would you only use "階層" to say things like "level," "layer" and "stratum?"
Which do you want to do, E --> J translation or J -->E translation? The most appropriate translation differs depending on the situation/context, so it's hard to give a general answer.

on a somewhat unrelated note, what would be the best way to translate "封印の間," perhaps "Sealed Chamber?"
That can be correct, but 封印の間 also can mean "a chamber where sealing is done (someone does a ceremony "sealing", for instance)", so it differs depending on the context, too.

Sorry, for not being more specific, I'm trying to figure out how to best say them in English and if the first examples I listed for each (Upper/Lower Floors & 1st/First Floor) were viable translations for them.

As for "封印の間" it's hard to say since in context either interpretation could be correct. It's referring to an area where an immortal world-ending creature has been sealed away in the depths of the moon, said creature remaining dormant unless specific conditions are met. Thus, I guess 封印の間 could seemingly be referring to either the location itself being sealed or it being the place where the creature is sealed. The fan-translation that I read used "Sealed Area," but I wasn't able to find any good examples of anyone using "間" to say "area." I believe I've mostly seen "間" used to say "room" or "chamber" to a lesser extent, I only lean towards the later since room sounds smaller and too informal here.

Sorry, for not being more specific, I'm trying to figure out how to best say them in English and if the first examples I listed for each (Upper/Lower Floors & 1st/First Floor) were viable translations for them.
I see. Then, the answers are yes and yes. Both 層 and 階層 can mean "floor" in appropriate context.

As for "封印の間" it's hard to say since in context either interpretation could be correct. It's referring to an area where an immortal world-ending creature has been sealed away in the depths of the moon, said creature remaining dormant unless specific conditions are met. Thus, I guess 封印の間 could seemingly be referring to either the location itself being sealed or it being the place where the creature is sealed. The fan-translation that I read used "Sealed Area," but I wasn't able to find any good examples of anyone using "間" to say "area." I believe I've mostly seen "間" used to say "room" or "chamber" to a lesser extent, I only lean towards the later since room sounds smaller and too informal here.
I think the interpretation "the place where the creature is sealed" is better.

Thanks a lot for the help, just so I know for future reference, can "間" actually be used to say "area?" I ask because looking online I mainly got results for more specific words like "room" or "chamber."

Your search results are correct. 間 means room/chamber, so they think that the sealed "area" is a kind of room.

Back
Top Bottom