What's new

Question on getting Horimono.

DoshKel

先輩
24 Sep 2004
Hello :).

I have questions regarding the act of getting Horimono done traditionally in Japan. Would it be ok to ask here, or should I personal message someone who is very knowledgeable on Horimono? Thank you so much.

Awesome. Thanks a lot!

First, I am expecting to pay up to about 1,200,000 yen for a full back peice. I understand that it does depend on the situation, but would this be a good estiment for me to follow?

Also, being only 21, would I be taken seriously if I were to talk to a master artist in person once I am fully ready for Horimono? Or should I wait a few years until I am older? I also don't know Japanese. Would it be hard to find someone to traslate for me? Should I wait and learn Japanese so that I can be seen to have better manners?

And lastly, I have heard that it is best to find an artist by word of mouth rather than look for ads because of the tradition that surounds Horimono. So, who would you recommend for me to go see? I have heard from various people that master Horiyoshi III is the best. I very much appreciate his work, but I think I should still get other opinions.

Again... thank you very much craftsman for your help.

I am no horimono expert but have plenty of Japanese tattoos!

The price of a tattoo by a master would be astronomical - you need at least that amount. Someone who studied with that master would be cheaper but their work would be similar to the untrained eye. So you need to do a little research on the internet as to who is available and who they trained with. It would be standard practice to make an appointment and for the price and details to be discussed at the studio and only then do you find out the length of time, cost and whether they will do it or not!

You would need to have a translator or have a good understanding of Japanese - although some speak English. Again have a look on the internet. There are a lot of Japan based tattoo artist websites in English.

Another good source is a magazine called 'burst' or I think 'burst tatto' which is in Japanese. In it are listings and articles.

As far as who is the best - well - like in everything in life - it's a matter of opinion. Some people think Mt.Fuji is the best site in Japan - but up close it's ugly and bare. The 'best' is a relative term. You need to make a decision on your taste, looking at the work of the artists, not from who people tell you is the 'best'.

i realize this is an old thread, but i figured i'd just throw it out there that there are some artists in the united states who do truly beautiful horimono.

Back
Top Bottom