What's new

Question about Valentine's Day in Japan

Arthur68

先輩
5 Aug 2008
I live in the U.S. and have a friendly online and pen-pal relationship with a girl from Japan for a couple of years now.
Our relationship is just friendly at this time, no sexual talk or anything like that.
With Valentine's Day coming up, I am thinking about sending her a friendly type Valentine card but am not sure how this would be accepted.
I read that in Japan that it is the woman who gives a Valetines Day gift to the man. Is this fact? Would it be okay for a male friend from another country give a Valentine's card to a female friend in Japan? Is it normal for friends to give Valetines cards or only couples?
I thought about asking my Japanese friend, but I want it to be a surprise and don't want her to guess I might send her a card.

Yeah, girls give chocolates and stuff away on Valentines day, so the guy can reciprocate on White Day a month later. It's an interesting arrangement.

If you want, you can send her a valentines card with an explanation that there is no white day in the states. card exchanges between friends is not uncommon at all, and there is also the interesting phenomenon of Giri Choco

I see nothing wrong with your idea of sending a simple card like that, but I would include an explanation just like NiceGaijin said.

Sounds like a very gesture and I expect she would appreciate it.

White day

Is it ok to give chocolate to a Japanese friend on White day even if she didn't give any chocolate on Valentine?ツ :?
Also, can this be done as a friendly gesture or is it just between lovers?

窶堙ヲ窶堙ォ窶堋オ窶堋ュ窶堋ィナ?ティ窶堋「窶堋オ窶堙懌?堋キ

Yeah, girls give chocolates and stuff away on Valentines day, so the guy can reciprocate on White Day a month later. It's an interesting arrangement.

If you want, you can send her a valentines card with an explanation that there is no white day in the states. card exchanges between friends is not uncommon at all, and there is also the interesting phenomenon of Giri Choco
Giri choco is still a hit done mostly by junior high and high school kids ? Rarely by society people these days, though, or so I've been informed...:p

Is it ok to give chocolate to a Japanese friend on White day even if she didn't give any chocolate on Valentine?ツ :?
Also, can this be done as a friendly gesture or is it just between lovers?
窶堙ヲ窶堙ォ窶堋オ窶堋ュ窶堋ィナ?ティ窶堋「窶堋オ窶堙懌?堋キ

No, it doesn't have to be between lovers. You don't have to take it so seriously.

Yes, you can give her a gift. Just don't give her something expensive--that's when things are interpreted as serious...

Back
Top Bottom