What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question about the word “時点” (Jiten)

Kojiro Sasaki

後輩
Reaction score
Hi,

Is the word “時点” proper in the situation, when I want to describe a specific time point in a song or a movie? Let's say first minute and sixth second of the song - can I call it 時点? Is there any better or more common word for this kind of description?

Best Regards

Last edited:

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Well, I can't get your point. Make a sentence in Japanese so that we can judge whether it is correct or not.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Hi,

Is the word “時点” proper in the situation, when I want to describe a specific time point in a song or a movie? Let's say first minute and sixth second of the song - can I call it 時点? Is there any better or more common word for this kind of description?

Best Regards
There is no need to use any counter or something. It's OK just to write 1分6秒 or 1:06.

Hoge

破落戸
Reaction score
The general term is 経過時刻 or 経過時間 (or simply 時刻, 時間)
I would say 最初(or 頭)から 1分30秒のところ to refer to a specific time point.

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
I think the OP is making an index or something, as same as his previous threads (and that's why i said that just 1:06 is OK).

Kojiro Sasaki

後輩
Reaction score
I think the OP is making an index or something, as same as his previous threads (and that's why i said that just 1:06 is OK).
Precisely! It looks like this:

I'm very grateful for all the responses in this thread. Thanks!

mdchachi

Reaction score
If you look at the images here, they are using 開始時間 (start time). I think you could drop the 時間 if you need to save space. Even if your case is not the start of the track, it's still the starting point of the segment that you are indicating.

Kojiro Sasaki

後輩
Reaction score
Which solution would be the best here? I don't want it to be mistaken with “playing time” - it would completely ruin the entire meaning of all the documentation I'm preparing.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
時点 doesn't make sense anyway. I second mdchachi-san's one 開始時間.

Kojiro Sasaki

後輩
Reaction score
Using 4-kanji word will require extensive changes in ~20 A4 pages... I need to know this for sure: Are there no chances for a 2-kanji word?

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
You could probably get by with just 開始 if you don't want to make edits.

Top Bottom