What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question about the potential form of verbs

Coriandria

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hi, I’m a beginning Japanese Learner.

I am trying to learn about the potential form of verbs. All the various texts, I've checked out explicitly say that the potential form cannot take a direct object that instead が or は will be used. But in the following sentence it looks like I have the potential form with a direct object.

龍の宝玉を光らせたということが龍神の神子として龍神様に選ばれた証。

Am I misreading this sentence? Are there certain situations where a direct object can be coupled with the potential form?

Right now my very beginner level and likely inaccurate translation of the sentence is "the fact that [blank] is proof that you were chosen as the dragon priestess by the dragon god."

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I'm sorry for any inconvenience I've caused. I know I have a long ways to go in my Japanese learning and I'm doing my best through self studies but I find myself completely stuck on this sentence. Thank you for any help you are able to provide. I really appreciate it.

Coriandria

Kouhai
Reaction score
oh... oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. That's so weird. I checked my other thread but it showed up as deleted with my post count as 0 on my profile so I thought I broke the rules for translation requests on my initial post. I'm so sorry for double posting like a dumby.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Sorry, that's my fault.:facepalm: I accidentally deleted your entire thread instead of deleting your first post "Crap I hit enter before I was ready", then I recreated a new thread. Probably you would see this forum between my two moderator's actions. Sorry again!

Top Bottom