What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Question about the JET program.

Terumoto

I have a lot to learn...
Reaction score
OK. Heres my deal.

I would like to live and work in Japan, and the JET program offers that opportunity in a very nice way, taking care of employment, visa, accommodation etc.

Next year I'm going to be doing a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Japanese studies and Philosophy, so that is 80% of the requirements of the JET program, a bachelors degree. I'm sure I'm elligible. But one thing bugs me... It is only for a year, then after your contract terminates, you go back home.

So I was just wondering, what if I wanted to keep working and living in Japan? I would have lost my job and home after a year. Do you think it would be good to go back there and find employment for myself after participating in the JET program? Experience in the field would mean I could get another job as a teacher without much trouble, right?

And alternatively, should I just skip the JET program and find a place, a job and all of that for myself in the first place? Meaning it would be more long-term friendly?

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
I believe JET allows you to extend/renew your contract, but that is something you must negotiate with the department of education wherever you are staying. I'd assume that your visa status depends greatly on your employment status as well. Moving to Japan without having a job first is probably not legally feasible, and I wouldn't recommend it even if you got away with it.

JimmySeal

Tubthumper
Reaction score
JET contracts can be renewed up to two times, for a total of three years. In some rare cases, a person can continue on the JET programme for up to five years.

lastmagi

Sempai
Reaction score
My comment is a bit OT, but don't forget that JET is only one of many different possibilities. There are the other "big 4"- AEON, ECC, GEOS, and NOVA-- but I'd do a bit more research on them to see if they'd fit you. And then there are the smaller eikaiwa, which have generally received better positive comments than the big companies.

Since it seems you have some time ahead of you, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. Good resources can be found here:

English Conversation Teachers and CIRs in Japan's Journal
404 - Page Not Found - ESL

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
Reaction score
I was a JET for 2 years.

In fact, now they allow JETs to stay for up to 4 years. After that, if things are going well, you can come to a seperate agreement with your local employer. I know people who have done it. Or, like me, after a few years of JET you can move to another city and get a job doing something else.

Best of luck!

Terumoto

I have a lot to learn...
Reaction score
Well thats good then.

What kind of other work is available for sombody like me with just a bachelor's degree?

Davey

Contributor
Reaction score
after the Jet, or other big ones, you can always search for another teaching job, getting a work visa by them.

If you have done 3-4 years of teaching in Japan, I don't think it should be so difficult to get a working visa from another , maybe smaller, school.

Goodluck

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
Reaction score
As Mike Cash once famously said...

To teach English in Japan, all you need is "a pulse and a necktie."

However, if you don't want to teach English, there are other jobs out there. Especially if you can speak Japanese. (Level 1 or 2 of the proficiency test helps ALOT.)

Davey

Contributor
Reaction score
mad pierrot said:
However, if you don't want to teach English, there are other jobs out there. Especially if you can speak Japanese. (Level 1 or 2 of the proficiency test helps ALOT.)

And what kind of jobs are that, ICT I would assume?

mad pierrot

I jump to conclusions
Reaction score
Oh yeah.

But there are others, too. An ex-Jet friend of mine got a job working for a major company in Kobe, another works for a major electronics corp. in Tokyo. However, it is worth noting that they both had prior experience.

Top Bottom