What's new

Question about multiple entry visa and permission for part time job as student

Lawrence1

Sempai
22 Jun 2015
So I just got a multiple entry student visa for Japan. My university suggests it would be good if I ask to obtain "Permission for Activities not Permitted by Status of Residence" at the airport when I arrive to Japan for the first time. I was looking at the eligibility requirements, and they are:
Persons entering Japan for the first time.
Those entering Japan with a re-entry permit are not eligible.
Those who are granted "Student" status with the permitted period of more than 3 months.

Since my visa is a multiple entry visa, does that count as a re-entry permit or are those two separate things?
Also if I leave japan after obtaining the permission (for example to go to an international conference), do I lose my permission?

Finally, I am also interested in getting access to use the automated gates in the airport and the requirements are quite the opposite. In order to use the automated gates, I must have a passport with a re-entry permit in order to be eligible.

I will ask the people in the airport when I obtain my residence card anyway when I enter but I am curious if anyone had the same questions in the past and know the answer?

I didn't know you can get the special permission stamp at the airport, when I was a student I had arrived on a one-entry student visa, and since I visited Taiwan with a friend I had to go down to the immigration office beforehand to switch to a re-entry visa. I also wanted to do a little part time work so I got the special permission, but I needed to go back and forth between my school and immigration a little bit to get all the paperwork in order... which is why I'm surprised it's possible at the airport; contact your school to make sure they can get you all the paperwork you need beforehand.

This was back in 2007 though, so I don't know how things have changed since then.

I didn't know you can get the special permission stamp at the airport, when I was a student I had arrived on a one-entry student visa, and since I visited Taiwan with a friend I had to go down to the immigration office beforehand to switch to a re-entry visa. I also wanted to do a little part time work so I got the special permission, but I needed to go back and forth between my school and immigration a little bit to get all the paperwork in order... which is why I'm surprised it's possible at the airport; contact your school to make sure they can get you all the paperwork you need beforehand.

This was back in 2007 though, so I don't know how things have changed since then.

Yeah it is possible. My school says "If you would like to work at a part-time job in Japan, you should obtain this work permit at the port of entry." on its website. On my student handbook it also says "In case of new arrival in Japan, international students can apply and obtain legal part-time job at the airport if needed".

Entering and Residing in Japan | The University of Tokyo

I think you must do your procedure if you choose not get the permission right when you enter or if it isn't your first time entering japan. It appears you need to outright request it or you won't get it when you enter.

So when you left Japan (to taiwan) did you get your permission taken out or could you keep it?

Additionally, do you know if a reentry permit and multiple entry visa the same thing?

Finally, did you get use the automatic gates? Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
Trying to remember the sequence of events, as it was a while ago... I think I got it switched to re-entry the same time I got the permission stamp, maybe if I can find my old passport I can compare the dates. I got my job after my trip, so I don't think leaving and coming back affected it.

I haven't used the automatic gates, sorry I don't know about those.

to elaborate on that last bit, if you leave and come back on the same visa w/re-entry permit (or multiple landing visa (I don't think there's a functional difference but don't quote me on that), you're still on the same visa, so any special permission you obtain on that visa should still be valid...if the world is just and logical.

The multiple entry visa and re-entry permit are separate things. If you do not have the re-entry permit and leave Japan for any length of time, the authorities will assume you are leaving permanently, and your visa will be cancelled at the airport when you leave. I say this from experience (albeit many years ago). I was astonished that I still needed the re-entry permit even with a multiple entry visa. This was even after many years in Japan and some familiarity with the bureaucracy. I was able to get a special "one-time re-entry" stamp at the airport (after being ushered into a small room and being attended to for about 20 minutes by some joyless immigration officer). This allowed me to go on my business trip, and then when I returned to Japan I had to get the proper "re-entry permit". But it blew my mind that "multiple entry" was conditional upon receiving another re-entry permit.

This was quite some time ago, so the rules may have changed. Actually, I know they have changed because now if you have a foreign residence card, there are certain rules allowing you to leave and come back. "Special permission for re-entry" vs. "regular re-entry" or some such rigamarole. Anyway, NiceGaijin's comment about about the bureaucracy being just and logical reminded me of this episode.

The multiple entry visa and re-entry permit are separate things. If you do not have the re-entry permit and leave Japan for any length of time, the authorities will assume you are leaving permanently, and your visa will be cancelled at the airport when you leave. I say this from experience (albeit many years ago). I was astonished that I still needed the re-entry permit even with a multiple entry visa. This was even after many years in Japan and some familiarity with the bureaucracy. I was able to get a special "one-time re-entry" stamp at the airport (after being ushered into a small room and being attended to for about 20 minutes by some joyless immigration officer). This allowed me to go on my business trip, and then when I returned to Japan I had to get the proper "re-entry permit". But it blew my mind that "multiple entry" was conditional upon receiving another re-entry permit.

This was quite some time ago, so the rules may have changed. Actually, I know they have changed because now if you have a foreign residence card, there are certain rules allowing you to leave and come back. "Special permission for re-entry" vs. "regular re-entry" or some such rigamarole. Anyway, NiceGaijin's comment about about the bureaucracy being just and logical reminded me of this episode.

Yeah. I just spoke to my friend in Japan about what you said. Thanks so much for the heads up or I wouldn't have thought to ask him about that. Multiple entry visa usually doesn't require anything but in Japan you need to fill in a form when you leave Japan to show intent of coming back and fill in another form when you come back. The form is very very simple but it is important to know about. Hopefully they advertise it well in the airport or this might be a common mistake.

Well the form (Embarkation Card for Re-Entrant) is a completely different, but related, thing . The re-entry permit itself is a separate stamp in the passport that you obtain from the immigration department well in advance of your departure. So in addition to the multiple entry visa, and the re-entry permit, there is the further formality of the departure card.
But as I say, the rules changed several years ago. I just had a quick look on the Immigration Bureau's website, and I think if you have a Residence Card you no longer need the re-entry permit. You are still required to fill out the Embarkation Card though.
Departure Procedures foreign nationals | Immigration Bureau of Japan Website

Back
Top Bottom