What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question about と言っても

TGO

Kouhai
Reaction score
hi minna!

I notice that it is possible to use both Noun と言っても and Noun だ と言っても...so what is the distinction between the two?? Doumo arigatou ^^

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
hmm, interesting question.

I would say that the difference would be like saying "even though I said ___," as opposed to "even though I said that it is ___"

ex:
クリスマスといっても、アメリカとは全然違います。
even though I said/say christmas, it's very different from America.

クリスマスだといっても、予定はありません。
even though I said it's christmas, I have no plans.

Damicci

先輩
Reaction score
Isn't it the same as using だと思う
and と思う?
Difference in politeness?

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
grammatically, for that application, nouns need to be followed by だと思う; we omit だ only when preceeded by verbs or い-adjectives.

I believe that といっても is different in this respect.

Damicci

先輩
Reaction score
I see. I can't recall if I used it incorrectly but not knowing what you said more than likely I have.
Thanks for the heads up.

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
nice gaijin said:
grammatically, for that application, nouns need to be followed by だと思う; we omit だ only when preceded by verbs or い-adjectives.
I believe that といっても is different in this respect.
I still see it left out a lot after nouns and na adjectives, perhaps that is what is causing some of Damicci's confusion. :)

Damicci

先輩
Reaction score
I was told that I didn't have to use it in another thread. I can't remember which one though. :(

Thats why I figure it was a polite thing.

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
well, if there's one thing I've noticed with native speakers, is that things get omitted a whole lot more often than added into sentences. Whether it's grammatically correct or not, common use is common use.

nhk9

先輩
Reaction score
nice gaijin said:
well, if there's one thing I've noticed with native speakers, is that things get omitted a whole lot more often than added into sentences. Whether it's grammatically correct or not, common use is common use.
I have the same feeling too. Though I dont live in Japan, I often watch these japanese reality shows and most of the people in those shows speak really broken Japanese. Sometimes they add a bit kansai or whatever ben in there and the grammar becomes really weird. Often it seems that they deliberately try to speak that way (as a protest toward conformity, I suppose). But that's just a wild speculation on my part.

TGO

Kouhai
Reaction score
I actually came across this while looking up my grammar dictionary, unfortunately it didn't come with a satisfactory explanation about the differences between omitting だ or not

Top Bottom