What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Question about 「やる」and 「する」

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Hello guys, it’s been a while. I recently restarted studying Japanese a lot and came up with a question. I googled about it but I have a feeling I’m not getting a definite answer. I have a few but I’ll start with one.

In the following sentence:
オリンピック会場まででうやって行きますか❓
I’m guessing that 「やる」here doesn’t have the meaning of “doing” something. I’m speculating it is a set grammatical construction where we would not be able to substitute 「やる」with 「する」. Am I right?

Second Question:
In the sentence I do gymnastic, could both やる、する be used?
Thank you!

Reaction score
I’m guessing that 「やる」here doesn’t have the meaning of “doing” something. I’m speculating it is a set grammatical construction where we would not be able to substitute 「やる」with 「する」.

It does mean "doing" after a fashion, but you cannot simply substitute する because it would be the compound verb やって行く and it's not plain doing but a particular kind of doing. (Edit: But it's not やって行く if as bentenmusume-san surmises it's a typo of "どうやって" ).

I'm not too sure about your sentence because I don't know what you mean by 「でう」.

In the sentence I do gymnastic, could both やる、する be used?
You mean in 「私はたいそうをしています」?

You *could* use やる and not be grammatically wrong, but it's not usually done in polite, standard Japanese.

Last edited:

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
I think your original sentence is a typo of どうやって行きますか, yes?

どうやって is a fixed expression meaning "in what way" or "how", so this simply means "how do I get to the Olympic venue?"

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
どうして can work as "how" similar to どうやって in some context. However, どうして has other meanings like "why", so どうやって is far more commonly used for that meaning to avoid being misinterpreted.

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Very clear explanations, thank you!

Top Bottom