What's new

Question Question about 「いただき」

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Hello,
I don’t understand how いただき works. There’s no entry in the dictionary of basic Japanese grammar. I looked it up in the dictionary and it says it is a godan verb usually written in kana.

The sentence is the following:
ご提案させていただきたいと思います。
I think here させて here is the sas form we talked about in the newspaper article thread.
いただき: means to receive, to accept.
提案: ていあん: a suru noun, meaning a suggestion, a proposal
と思います: this indicates that the speaker thinks what preceded the と.
ーたい: expresses to want something.

The right answer is: I would like to submit a proposal.
I don’t see where the “submit” part comes into play. Since the たい suffix is attached to いただき shouldn’t it mean that the speaker wants to receive a proposal as opposed to submitting it?

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
shouldn’t it mean that the speaker wants to receive a proposal as opposed to submitting it?
The speaker wants to receive the honor of submitting a proposal rather receiving the proposal.

Please read this thread:

As Toritoribe said, "~させていただく is a humble form of ~する"

~させていただく can be translated as "please allow me to do..." and is a polite way to say "I will do..." In your example, the speaker is about to make a suggestion. But instead of saying "I want you to do...", if we use your idea of "submit a proposal" we could say "I wouild like to submit a proposal that you do..." (which sounds very stilted in English). Just remember that this is you saying you are going to do something, not someone else doing something for you and you receiving the action as a favor.

Last edited:

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.
So if understand correctly (I might be wrong):
八時来ていただきたいんですが。
Means: « I would like you to do me the favour of coming at 8 o’clock. What precedes いただき is the favour which is requested here.

Reaction score
I believe it should be 八時まで来ていただきたいんですが or 八時来ていただきたいんですが , but otherwise, yes, that's correct.

There should be a section called "verbs of giving and receiving with actions" or something along those lines in your textbook.

Also, this use of いただく is parallel to A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar entry for morau(2). The only difference is
that いただく is a more humble/respectful term.

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
I read the entry for もらう today. I didn’t realise いただき was referring to the same thing. Thank you.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, this is a bit off-topic, but 八時に is more appropriate to "at 8 o'clock". 八時までに is more likely "by 8 o'clock", and 八時まで来ていただきたいんですが would be interpreted as 八時まで来ていていただきたいんですが/八時までいていただきたいんですが, thus, "to be/stay until 8 o'clock".;)

Zizka

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
You are right, there was a に there, I missed it in my transcription.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
I would like you to do me the favour of...
This is a good way to think of it. Another way is to say "Please allow me to..." One way of translating ご提案させていただきたいと思います would be "please allow me to make a suggestion."