What's new

Question about と言っても

TGO

後輩
28 May 2006
hi minna!

I notice that it is possible to use both Noun と言っても and Noun だ と言っても...so what is the distinction between the two?? Doumo arigatou ^^

hmm, interesting question.

I would say that the difference would be like saying "even though I said ___," as opposed to "even though I said that it is ___"

ex:
クリスマスといっても、アメリカとは全然違います。
even though I said/say christmas, it's very different from America.

クリスマスだといっても、予定はありません。
even though I said it's christmas, I have no plans.

grammatically, for that application, nouns need to be followed by だと思う; we omit だ only when preceeded by verbs or い-adjectives.

I believe that といっても is different in this respect.

I see. I can't recall if I used it incorrectly but not knowing what you said more than likely I have.
Thanks for the heads up.

nice gaijin said:
grammatically, for that application, nouns need to be followed by だと思う; we omit だ only when preceded by verbs or い-adjectives.
I believe that といっても is different in this respect.
I still see it left out a lot after nouns and na adjectives, perhaps that is what is causing some of Damicci's confusion. :)

I was told that I didn't have to use it in another thread. I can't remember which one though. :(

Thats why I figure it was a polite thing.

well, if there's one thing I've noticed with native speakers, is that things get omitted a whole lot more often than added into sentences. Whether it's grammatically correct or not, common use is common use.

nice gaijin said:
well, if there's one thing I've noticed with native speakers, is that things get omitted a whole lot more often than added into sentences. Whether it's grammatically correct or not, common use is common use.
I have the same feeling too. Though I dont live in Japan, I often watch these japanese reality shows and most of the people in those shows speak really broken Japanese. Sometimes they add a bit kansai or whatever ben in there and the grammar becomes really weird. Often it seems that they deliberately try to speak that way (as a protest toward conformity, I suppose). But that's just a wild speculation on my part.

I actually came across this while looking up my grammar dictionary, unfortunately it didn't come with a satisfactory explanation about the differences between omitting だ or not

Back
Top Bottom