What's new

Q/A with a current MEXTer

GunmaKun

後輩
4 Jun 2011
Hey Guys:

I am currently receiving the MEXT scholarship and thought I would post some info / words of advice for everyone who is applying or thinking about doing so. I used to lurk on this forum a lot when I was going through the interview process in my home country, waiting for results, etc, so I thought it would be nice to give something back to the JREF community.

A little about me:

I'm a 1st year PhD student studying engineering at Gunma University. Gunma was my first choice and I couldn't be happier with the school. The first day I sat down with my professor, he said that, based on my work experience, I should go directly to the PhD program (in all my paperwork I said I just wanted the MS) and so after some simple entrance exams, etc, here I am.

For me the hardest part of the whole process was the long wait. Once you've been accepted to the program and have provisional acceptance letters sent back to your embassy / consulate (Aug I think) you have to wait a solid 6 months with absolutely no information before you get the final notice that you're going sometime in February.

Other tidbits:
My school has a large population of Muslim students (especially from Malaysia) which I think is kind of neat, considering we're in Japan.

My professor can understand English perfectly, but tends to only speak to me in Japanese, hence I am studying the language mostly to make my life easier. I'm probably just shy of passing 窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶拿窶氾最スナスナ陳アN2 if that means anything.

Since I'm in the PhD program, I can do all of my presentation / write papers in English, and all the technical papers I read are in English. In fact, if/when I attend international conferences, everything has to be written in English.

My lab seems to be pretty well funded, so whenever I have to attend a conference, etc the lab pays for transportation / hotel fees (YMMV on this point especially)

That's all for now--let me know what questions you have!

Hey Guys:
I should go directly to the PhD program (in all my paperwork I said I just wanted the MS) and so after some simple entrance exams, etc, here I am.
What are these simple entrance exams?

And Thank you for the help ^^

What are these simple entrance exams?
And Thank you for the help ^^

I should clarify a little--I came over as a research student and spent the first year taking university-organized Japanese language classes, contributing to ongoing research in my lab, enjoying Japan and over the summer took the "entrance exam".

For the PhD program, the "entrance exam" is just a presentation of what you want to study in the PhD course (basically a bit longer version of your proposal when applying for the scholarship, but in powerpoint and with professors from your department watching) with a Q/A section at the end. I think it took 45 minutes and it was all in English. I didn't realize this at the time, but it seems that if you already have your professor's go-ahead, this is just a formality. Oh, and I had to take the TOEIC, which was a huge waste of time :)

For the MS program on the other hand, you have to take an actual "exam" and pass a short interview (sorry I don't have many details about this).

Thank you very much!

This confirmed very much the vision I had, I will go for Research, plan to do MBA and Phd, in fact I already did the TOEIC in my country before leaving, but I don't know if it is valid I hope so.

I apologize if my following question you feel you don't like to answer, Which area you in? I believe you are from the Natural Science area?

I'm studying engineering. I don't know what the criterion is for TOEIC--you might check the website of the specific school you plan to attend.

Hajimemashite.. this is my third post, I hope I could find the opinion from this thread also :D
Actually, I REALLY need an opinion from everyone who knew about admission system in Japanese University.
Here's the case:
- Early April 2011: I contacted prof because I was in the middle of scholarship process that held by private organization (they are expecting me to have a correspondence with Prof in one of Japanese Uni)
- Late April 2011: I got the invitation to take the examination by video conference via Skype.
- Early May 2011 : I took the oral examination and a week after that I got the email from my sensei that I already passed the entrance exam. Note: After this confirmation, he recommended me to apply the U-U MEXT scholarship as well (since I stated that I could not fund by study unless there's a scholarship). so: I applied for 2 scholarship scheme by may 2011.
- Late May 2011 : I sent all required documents to my uni by mail.
- Early June 2011 : I got the LoA for October Intake and 'application of Certificate of Eligilibilty (CoE)' which need to be resent as soon by mail.

My Question is: in the application of CoE that student affairs sent me and i resent them back, they (note: university) marked in that page that the one who sponsored my study is Japanese Government. DID I GET A SCHOLARSHIP ALREADY??

My professor still not sure and still gathering all the info.
One thing for sure: I didn't attach any bank report (coz i don't have any), and for someone who obtain the Japanese Government Scholarship, no need to sent any bank report (from the instruction of filling the CoE).

SO: DID I GET or IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING THE SCHOLARSHIP?
anyone??? I really need some opinion.
Many thanks..

(I am not an expert but)

It *sounds* like you got the scholarship, though I'm not sure. You should probably contact the International Student section (or whatever it's called) at that university and ask them directly.

I received the scholarship through the Japanese Consulate, so I only really know that process, sorry.

(I am not an expert but)
It *sounds* like you got the scholarship, though I'm not sure. You should probably contact the International Student section (or whatever it's called) at that university and ask them directly.
I received the scholarship through the Japanese Consulate, so I only really know that process, sorry.

Thank you for your info..
I am not sure either, I just wait for the reply from student affairs although I already sent the application form of CoE as they asked before, without bank report.

waiting...for the next clue...hehehe

Hi,
It's really great that you are trying to help prospective MEXTers after you completed your procedure.
As you can see from my nickname, I already went through the waiting process last year and it was a negative one. So here I am again. I cleared the first screening, have one LoA and the waiting game has already began :)
I have only one LoA and I have put that Uni as my first choice. I really wish to go to that specific Uni. Is there possibility that mext asign me to the second or third choice even if I didn't get their LoA's ? I don't see a reason for that because Uni and professor wants me and I want them, but...
Is it better to change the application with the Embassy officials and leave second and third choice blank before it goes to Tokyo
It would be great if I could be sure about where I am going (IF I am going).
Thanks

Thank you for your info..
I am not sure either, I just wait for the reply from student affairs although I already sent the application form of CoE as they asked before, without bank report.

waiting...for the next clue...hehehe

With the CoE, it means you got the scholarship. Otherwise, the immigration office wouldn't issue you the CoE. You'll be able to apply for the visa with the CoE so basically it's the most needed document for your visa application :)

But just a bit curious, are you not residing in your country of citizenship? Otherwise, MEXT recipients don't really need CoE when they apply from within their country of citizenship. Outside you'll need a CoE

Hi,
It's really great that you are trying to help prospective MEXTers after you completed your procedure.
As you can see from my nickname, I already went through the waiting process last year and it was a negative one. So here I am again. I cleared the first screening, have one LoA and the waiting game has already began :)
I have only one LoA and I have put that Uni as my first choice. I really wish to go to that specific Uni. Is there possibility that mext asign me to the second or third choice even if I didn't get their LoA's ? I don't see a reason for that because Uni and professor wants me and I want them, but...
Is it better to change the application with the Embassy officials and leave second and third choice blank before it goes to Tokyo
It would be great if I could be sure about where I am going (IF I am going).
Thanks

I'm not completely sure, but it seems that if you have a LoA from a specific professor (and they're serious about acceping you) you will get in to that university. The information the embassy sends out says that "MEXT may place you somewhere else" or something but I don't know of any case where that's actually happened. Also, it seems that if you don't have an LoA, you will not be going to that other university, but this is just my impression.

I had two Letters of Acceptance when I applied and I ended up attending my first choice school.

Back
Top Bottom