What's new

Q&A : When should I give reputation to someone ?

Maciamo

先輩
17 Jul 2002
Reputation is made to reward good members for their participation. I recommend all of you not to be stingy on reputationn votes and approve any message that :

- answered your question, gave your relevant information or made you learn something interseting
- was well-written or funny enough to deserve recognition
- express exactly what was in your mind (agree completely)

Use the "disapprove" option only when you judge someone's behaviour unacceptable, rude, unrespectful or for spammers.

I have just added a FAQ section explaining the reputation system employed at the Japan Forum

=> https://jref.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_rep

🙂

So hands up anybody who's had more than five people rep vote for them. ;-)

I suspect if there are any 'big winners' they'll be among those busy in the high volume forums like chat not the relatively slow ones like 'learn japanese'.

Of course there is one other way to get rep votes ...

Last edited:
I Feel Sooo Guilty !!!

I just can't seem to remember to give points out! I also
have the problem of forgetting to turn my ad blocker off when I come on the Forum. I have to log out, shut it off, and log back in so I can use the pop-up window to give rep. As I get older the ol memory fails me and I depend on establishing a habit to do something. I promise to work on the "good" habit of giving rep points in the future!

Frank

😊

I give out points and i get points. Come on FRank! Take your ginko and remember to give points where there "Needed!" 😌 🙂

dreamer said:
Give points? Oo
I only gave points once to see how it worked though ^^
I give points to people who correctly answer my puzzels* in the Japanese slang thread - but I don't think people really care.

I've said before that I think it's likely that thread-rating and rep voting won't catch on.

* imported shibboleth

I've just realised if you put the cursor over the little green light it tells you how nice you are! I'm 'quite nice' apparently! :)

either that or quite popular!!
I don't know what your doing but frank is almost up to the *Godly title!* We gotta talk to rachel about all this flirting you've been doing to her. She pressing that reputation point button a little too much. :D

I have a question about reputation comments. Exactly who can see them? I know that admin and donors can, but can everyone else see them without having to guess on which post they received reputation? If not, then what is the point of leaving a comment? Does the admin see the comments that people leave for other people on the fora?

I think all memebers can see their reputation points and comments when they click 'user CP', but I don't think they can tell for which post they received the comments(which is kind of frustrating). And I am pretty sure all team members(admin, advisors, moderators) can see the comments left.

Maybe They Should Be .....

like green stamps (an old concept from the 60's) you turn
them in at time of death to collect prizes? Go to the great beyond wearing a JREF T-shirt, or with enough points get an anime decorated coffin!

Frank

😊 :D :p 👍 :) 😌 :eek:

Frank D. White said:
like green stamps (an old concept from the 60's) you turn
them in at time of death to collect prizes? Go to the great beyond wearing a JREF T-shirt, or with enough points get an anime decorated coffin!

Frank

😊 :D :p 👍 :) 😌 :eek:

What if we're cremated? :D How about a decorated urn?.. :D

Frank D. White said:
I just can't seem to remember to give points out! I also
have the problem of forgetting to turn my ad blocker off when I come on the Forum. I have to log out, shut it off, and log back in so I can use the pop-up window to give rep. As I get older the ol memory fails me and I depend on establishing a habit to do something. I promise to work on the "good" habit of giving rep points in the future!

Frank

😊
There is an easy way you can still give out reputation points with activated popup-blocker :haihai:
Simply enter the below url in a new browser window and append the post's ID:
PostID
You can see the post ID in the status bar if you hover the mouse over the post number in the upper right. For this post e.g. the number in the upper right corner is #20, and by hovering your mouse over it, you see in the status bar that this post's ID is 90550, so you can vote for this post here by using this link:
https://jref.com/forum/reputation.php?p=90550

Hope this helps 🙂

To be honest, I have not used the reputation system much.. But now that I think about it I will try harder and begin to use it more, hell the admin's went through the trouble to make the feature available for us, so I will not let it go for no use. :p

playaa said:
To be honest, I have not used the reputation system much.. But now that I think about it I will try harder and begin to use it more, hell the admin's went through the trouble to make the feature available for us, so I will not let it go for no use. :p

I used it for the first time for a couple people....I guess it's pretty cool after all and somebody gave me one too. Pretty neat indeed. 👍

I understood reputation when I tryed to clik on the green light and that only "rate post" worked and said I have 2000 reputation points (I am kidding... I have 3000 hahaha... *j/k*).
Does 1 point refers to on person who gave you reputation ? Does bad reputation lows the number of your points ?

Riven said:
I understood reputation when I tryed to clik on the green light and that only "rate post" worked and said I have 2000 reputation points (I am kidding... I have 3000 hahaha... *j/k*).
Does 1 point refers to on person who gave you reputation ? Does bad reputation lows the number of your points ?

I was curious too? I only see two reputation posts but it says a total of 28 points...is one rep post worth 14 or did others just not leave comments?

Buddha Smoker said:
I was curious too? I only see two reputation posts but it says a total of 28 points...is one rep post worth 14 or did others just not leave comments?
I think it doesn't worth 14, because one day I had 11 and the other one I had 14 ... And I havent seen any comment :p