What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Purchasing Japanese Books In The States

WHEATTHlNS

None Of Your Business
Reaction score
Well I'm Googled out. Basically what I am trying to do is find a website that has a GOOD selection of childrens books to purchase. So far I have found STORES that offer this (Kinokuniya in SF pops to mind), but not one that 1) has an online presence (well Kino does) and 2) ISNT shipping their books from JAPAN (and thus has an ungodly wait).

If anyone knows of a resource (other than eBay) let me know.

I might just end up hitting up Kino.

JimmySeal

Tubthumper
Reaction score
I bet if you ordered from amazon.co.jp, the wait wouldn't be so bad. I'm guessing you're somewhere in California since you mention the SF kinokuniya, so I think it would get there pretty fast.

GaijinPunch

遠いから行きません
Reaction score
Amazon.co.jp's shipping methods suck... which is strange as the other amazon's (US, UK, etc.) are great for people living abroad. Your best bet is to find some type of Japanese book store and have them order it... but it'll still take a while.

Riyko

先輩
Reaction score
Barnes and Noble has or had alot of childrens books in japanese (or the one in Utah did at least) There was a few book stores in Little Tokyo that had alot of childrens books, but I wouldn't recommend driving all the way up to LA just to see if they still have the books there. The kinokuniya in Little Tokyo had 3 sections for childrens books and 1 1/2 of those sections had books that we're all in japanese.

I hope that helps you out some ^^

Stutz

先輩
Reaction score
Try Sasuga Books. I haven't used them in over a year and recently one of the owners has passed away. So I don't know how their service is now. Best thing to do is try them out.

ArmandV

Eight Times To Japan
Contributor
Reaction score
If the San Francisco Kinokuniya can't serve you, maybe the Los Angeles one can. They are located in the Little Tokyo section of L.A. and their phone number is (213) 687-4480.

There is also Asahiya Bookstores (http://asahiyausa.com) in West Los Angeles. Phone (310) 575-3303. Asahiya's Chicago store usually has a table in the dealers room at the annual G-FEST.

DoctorP

先輩
Reaction score
I'm confused. Are you in Afghanistan or the US? Why are you looking for Japanese books in the US if you are not there? I would think that shipping from Japan to Afghanistan would be more easy.

yukio_michael

Sempai
Reaction score
I'm confused. Are you in Afghanistan or the US? Why are you looking for Japanese books in the US if you are not there? I would think that shipping from Japan to Afghanistan would be more easy.
I think he tried to hide his location, his current place of residence being "none of you're business" (see profile), but wound up giving himself away...

Top Bottom