What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

PT work in Tokyo

ASR

後輩
Reaction score
Dear members,
I will be in Tokyo for two years studying at the graduate level (Waseda). I have a BA in International Relations and foreign languages with a minor in Asian Studies. I passed the level 3 Japanese proficiency exam, but honestly my Japanese is not that good. My question is.... (Drum roll)...what kind of PT jobs could I apply for? My work experience is the following: banking (4 years), academic office (admission 1 year) and a summer internship at the UN (United Nations).

ASR

後輩
Reaction score
I'm looking for a PT job that eventually could lead to a full time position. Obviously the pay would have to be pretty substantial...at least 1,000yen/hour. An office job would be good...

Kirirao

Lost in the maze of life
Reaction score
This is kindda out of my experience area. I hope other forum member can help you with this.

Quite honestly, I kind of blurry about what kind of job is considered an office job. If it is what I think it is, then most of the company wouldn't want to hire a foreigner. Considering you need to have a really good grasp on the language (written) and need to know how to do stuff the Japanese-way? like how to write an formal letter and stuff (拝啓とか)

Office work PT.

Probably you can find an office job PT in a foreign-run company in japan. But that's is kindda out of my area of knowledge.

http://www.daijob.com/en/
also this place might have what you want. Don't know if there's a PT job in there

ASR

後輩
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. If I can't find anything...I could always flip burgers at McD's. 👍:):giggle:🎈😎😄:D

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
ASR,
You are not really answering the question. What kind of work do you want to do? Thousands of Japanese apply for "office work" and have to pass several stages of interviewing, general knowledge tests, and such. One job alone may have 400 applicants.

And, those are for Japanese...with licenses to do many of the office tasks.

With only level 3 Japanese and a BA, you are really going to have to look hard. My suggestions:

1) Study more Japanese.

2) Look for foreign companies in Japan who hire foreigners. Odds are they won't use so much Japanese there (but don't give up studying because the job will still require some).

3) Look into internships.

4) 1000 yen/hour is not "substantial". Bartenders get that.

Chidoriashi

In imagination land
Reaction score
A level 3 certificate is pretty much equal to toilet paper when it comes to using it to get into a job that would require Japanese. Level 2 is your bare minimum.

Top Bottom