What's new

Protesters held on Japanese whaling ship

That looks like a coming court case, if they were in fact doing more but delivering, its not so good (and thats the problem, if the Japanese were lying, how to proove this? And if they can get away with this. . .).

spokesman for the Fisheries Agency of Japan, Mr Hideki Moronuki, has told the ABC he is not in a position to comment on the ruling because Australia's claim to Antarctic waters is not recognised by the international community.

Is that so??

And since when are they (free for) japanese instead? (ahem)

Thanks for the article!

Is that so??

And since when are they (free for) japanese instead? (ahem)

Thanks for the article!

It's difficult to know Chi as Japan is very much famous for being a law to itself and not joining international treaties.

Interantional Child abduction laws (Hague) is just one law which seems to be a chilling thought, considering the issues it has with North Korea..

I wonder, how much the

http://www.hsus.org/about_us/humane_society_international_hsi/

can do, since some there say, there is no way, while others say, there is.

I mean, if anyone can break into anyone else's sanctuaries, where are the international courts or acceptances for these sanctuaries and are there ??
(sorry, my international political knowledge is not so good, what for instance can the UN do in this or who else? etc.)

Anyhow, apart from he above question, I found this, which may also be interesting here:

http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw/general/default.aspx?oid=97530

Southern Ocean Sanctuary 2004 Review

The proposal to establish a Southern Ocean Sanctuary was first put to the IWC by France in 1992. The IWC had already designated the entire Indian Ocean southward to 55ºS latitude as a sanctuary in 1979. In 1994, the IWC voted by 23 to 1 to adopt the majority of the Southern Ocean south of 40ºS as a sanctuary in which all commercial whaling is prohibited. Click on the link to the right to download a table showing the vote results country by country. Japan was the only country to vote against the Sanctuary and lodged an objection to the extent that it applies to minke whales. The Southern Ocean Sanctuary came into effect on 6th December 1994 for an indefinite period, but will be reviewed in 2004.

The major objective of the Southern Ocean Sanctuary is to protect some populations of Southern Hemisphere whales throughout their migratory ranges and life cycles - and to contribute to the restoration and protection of the unique and fragile Antarctic marine ecosystem. The Sanctuary gives protection to around three quarters of the world's whales, in an area where whale populations had been reduced to a tiny fraction of their original numbers by commercial whaling.

The Southern and Indian Ocean Sanctuaries are connected, therefore the SOS affords protection to the Indian Ocean's whales as they migrate south to feed in Antarctic waters.

The Southern Ocean Sanctuary will be reviewed by the IWC at its annual meeting in Sorrento, Italy, in July 2004. If the continued existence of the Sanctuary is put to a vote this will be the most significant vote for whale conservation taken in the IWC since the adoption of the Sanctuary 10 years previously.

In terms of protecting whales, the Sanctuary has great importance for its moral authority as well as its legal authority. The fact that in 1994, the only objection was from Japan, and that only in so far as the Sanctuary applies to minke whales, showed a level of universal international acceptance of the general principle of the Sanctuary. New scientific findings since 1994 only strengthen the case for the Sanctuary. However, Japan has been successfully rallying support for its position within the IWC. Several new countries have joined and others may be under pressure to change their position on the Sanctuary. In fact, Japan was not even prepared to wait for the 2004 review and proposed a Resolution in 2002 aimed at undermining the Sanctuary which failed (17 for, 24 against). The IWC member countries closest to the Sanctuary, Argentina, Australia, Chile, New Zealand and South Africa, are all strong supporters of the Sanctuary.

IFAW campaigned long and hard for the successful adoption of the Sanctuary in 1994. However, we recognised that the work did not end there. To make the Sanctuary more effective we need a greater understanding of the Antarctic ecosystem. One of the arguments put forward against the Sanctuary is that without whaling there would be no incentive to conduct research to monitor how whale populations are responding to other factors such as global climate change or fluctuations in their prey.

But if it comes out, that the whalers "embarked" a for them forbidden zone, then they are the terrorists. . .

Last edited:
Though there is not the embarkation permission that they invaded a ship.
It is a crime.
It is a pirate, and they are terrorists.

Yes.. It will be interesting considering it was ruled that Japan is breaking Australian law, and thus Australia can technically arrest the Japanese crewman if they are caught in Australian waters hunting whales, although it would create a diplomatic nightmare, but then again, Japan did capture these peacemakers simply trying to tie a banner up, one of which happens to be an Australian national..

This will be "interesting" to know if the crew of the Japanese ship broke the law..

Though there is not the embarkation permission that they invaded a ship.
It is a crime.
It is a pirate, and they are terrorists.

there is a guy who is a supporter of terrosist here.
what a pity😊

it looks like the chinese violence demo

hung the pirate

While I am very tempted to do something, I will refrain. I'm not, at the moment convinced that we need another thread related to the whaling issue, but will let it stand.

I ask, however, that we all take it easy. I ask that we not be sarcastic at the moment, and not make any silly jab-like remarks and such.

After a few days, we might get more information on just exactly grounds any act had been committed. In all consideration, however, tying someone out in the elements for any length of time, is extremely thoughtless. No one can deny that.

That's what our vessel is down there to do, and that's what they have requested that the whaling vessel do, which is cease and desist their illegal whaling activities.
They were successful in delivering the message, but then they were not allowed to leave and return back to our vessel
then
The institute says it is illegal to board ships on the high seas, and claims the two men attempted to damage the ship and threw bottles of acid onto the decks.😊
wow,nice message

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more great news for the whales:)

Thanks Kyoto - that is good news! PM Stephen Smith is doing what he said he would in protecting the sanctuary.

Here is a link to sign a petition to make 40% of the oceans marine reserves:

Oceans

Last edited:
Here's an update to that story:

Japan 'agrees to free' Sea Shepherd activists

The Japanese whalers have agreed to let the protesters go, but haven't yet. Who is being violent here? No environmental group has taken Japanese fishermen hostage. It seems that one kind of violence leads to another - if a person is prone to killing whales, they're also prone to other kinds of violence, including against people.

Here's an update to that story:
Japan 'agrees to free' Sea Shepherd activists
The Japanese whalers have agreed to let the protesters go, but haven't yet. Who is being violent here? No environmental group has taken Japanese fishermen hostage. It seems that one kind of violence leads to another - if a person is prone to killing whales, they're also prone to other kinds of violence, including against people.

Thanks a lot for the link, Sarapva, and I very much underline your last sentence, although not in all fullness. Because as said, if done for a real need and with according respect, I would not say so.
But the tendency is there, but on all "hunters" then, to be fair, surely on those, who additionally work with offences and lies.

Anyhow, lets wait and see.

What Japanese whaling fleet is doing is nothing against the decision of IWC(International Whaling Committee). And Antarctic Ocean is not Australian territory(some Australian stupidly believe they own the Antarctic).

Well, that may have to be sorted out.

But the Japanese don't own it either, nor does the whaling committee, nor own all whales, if I am not mistaken. . .

Even Green Peace doesn't want have anything to do with those idiots. When pro-whaling advocates start endorsing such illegitimate tactics, they are no different from supporters of abortion clinic bombers and fanatics setting fire on animal testing labs.

Tea party on a rader pole

www icrwhale.org/gpandsea-img-41.htm
In Australia, this photo image could be said "Tied to a radar mask!! ".
IMHO, Australians would forget the phrase -"Tea party" after leaving Britain.

Back
Top Bottom