What's new

Proficiency Test

jbm1x

後輩
5 Aug 2003
I'm going to take the 4th level in December. Has anybody here taken it already? Can you give any advice on what to expect or how to do better on it?

I'm kind of worried about the listening part, how does that work? I can read pretty well, I know a lot of words and kanji, but I have almost no practice in conversation or listening.

Don't need any conversation practice for the Proficiency test. The listening test is pretty simple, especially for level four. Most of the questions will give you 4 pictures and you will hear a sentence and have to choose which picture applies. Like you'll hear the voice say "Yoshii has 3 apples" and you'll have to select the picture of a kid with 3 apples instead of the one with a kid with 2 bananas or something.

Oh that's not so bad. Is it played fast like a normal Japanese conversation or slow like somebody talking to a stupid gaijin? Also do they repeat it? Thanks!

Kinda mean saying "stupid gaijin"... *lol*
Still interesting. I'd like to know how this test is. Sounds like my Japanese class.

I don't think you'll have any problem, they are pretty slow and very clearly spoken. They only play it once though, so you have to listen carefully. I took level 3 last year and it was a breeze. Its too bad you are in the states, because in Japan you can buy the previous years tests in the bookstores, they are great for studying.

Originally posted by senseiman
I don't think you'll have any problem, they are pretty slow and very clearly spoken. They only play it once though, so you have to listen carefully. I took level 3 last year and it was a breeze. Its too bad you are in the states, because in Japan you can buy the previous years tests in the bookstores, they are great for studying.

My country also have the past year papers sold at bookstores

I have a few of the CDs for all levels of the JLPT. The conversations are average-paced and shouldn't be hard if you practice listening and speaking (speaking will enforce listening skills).

However..It can get tricky..More than once on my CDs the speaker has changed his mind completely and said something different (usually fast) that makes the preceding dialogue irrelevant. For example:

A: 山本さん、木曜日に会議がありますか。
B: いいえ、ありません。
(Blah blah random talk on how they should see a movie etc.)
And then at the end
B: ちょっと。。すみません、木曜日に会議があります!

Finishing on time is my biggest concern..

Originally posted by SacredBlue

B: ちょっと。。すみません、木曜日に会議があります!

Finishing on time is my biggest concern..
Sorry, I have a meeting Thursday....

LOL @ 3kyuu. Ok, old joke. But here:

http://language.tiu.ac.jp/index_e.html

And other links on JLPT here:

http://www.sabotenweb.com/bookmarks/language.html#test

There are also .pdfs out there but I gotta ask some people where they are.

-Jeff

me too

Hi,

I'm also planning to take the JLPT4 in December. I have been learning for a couple of months using Pimsleur and the book "Japanese for Everyone". I'm learning the 80 Kanji required for this level (and all that I encounter in my other studies). I've learnt languages before so I'm hoping to be at the level required by the test by November. I am also spending a few days in Tokyo in October so I can practice.

I bought a copy of the 2002 test at Kinokuniya to practice, it also comes with a CD of the listening exercises. My only concern is that I am hard of hearing so I am hoping that I will be able to hear and understand the questions.

Also I will be out of town on the day the exam is held so I'm going to have to find my way around a foreign city to take the test.

OK, let's see the hands.

Who here has taken the test?

Who here plans to take it?

I'm studying for level 2 right now, and it's been painful at best. Anyone here who has taken level 2 care to give me some advice?

:sorry:

mad pierrot said:
I'm studying for level 2 right now, and it's been painful at best. Anyone here who has taken level 2 care to give me some advice?
I've taken level 2 a fair while back*

My advice is : Study, lots. Then study some more. :p

You can work out where your weakest areas with past papers, and there are books specifically designed to help people taking JLPT but basically it boils down to my first bit of advice.

* Translation : I can't remember if it will be two years in December or not.

Back
Top Bottom