What's new

Problem with Japanese Names

Gohmatoast

後輩
12 Dec 2014
Hi,
I'm including a homage to my ex in a visual novel I am making. However, I feel that her name, 'Shawnee', would not fit the setting of the VN. How can I fix this so that 'Shawnee' becomes a Japanese name that sounds similar to 'Shawnee', but fits the cultural setting? Also, how would you translate this into direct Japanese?
Thanks.

Urban, Modern-day, Japan. Names that are common in Japan today, that maybe sound like 'Shawnee' or are spelled similarly.

I doubt you're going to find any names which meet that description. You could just have the name be Shawnee but spelled in a reflection of how it would be pronounced in Japanese, couldn't you? People can name their children practically anything they want to, so it isn't entirely inconceivable that a child could be named that, I suppose.

Why not skip the naming angle for a homage and instead draw the character to resemble her or to have some habit or mannerisms she has?

I doubt you're going to find any names which meet that description. You could just have the name be Shawnee but spelled in a reflection of how it would be pronounced in Japanese, couldn't you? People can name their children practically anything they want to, so it isn't entirely inconceivable that a child could be named that, I suppose.

Why not skip the naming angle for a homage and instead draw the character to resemble her or to have some habit or mannerisms she has?
You're right, I guess. I never thought of that, thank you!

You're right, I guess. I never thought of that, thank you!

Since she's an ex it would provide a layer of plausible deniability that just wouldn't be there with something like a name in the event she gets ticked and hits you up for libel of defamation of character or some such nonsense.

Since she's an ex it would provide a layer of plausible deniability that just wouldn't be there with something like a name in the event she gets ticked and hits you up for libel of defamation of character or some such nonsense.
Ah, no. She's not really into things like this. Actually, how would you translate her name into direct japanese characters? Is it possible?

Back
Top Bottom