What's new

Preparation done by MEXT scholars before going to japan

prettybunny

先輩
7 Jun 2010
Dear all, I applied MEXT 2011 and luckily passed second screening.
As I will be enrolled as research student in the coming April, I feel that there are a lot of matters need to be settled before we start our new journey in Japan!
let's share abt the preparation works to be done, such as dormitory application, visa blah blah blah :p

i m going to Tokyo Medical and dental university. Secretary of my prof said she helped me to apply dormitory in Odaiba or Ichikawa. How abt you all?

No one has contacted me yet. Did you guys all receive contacts from your universities? ?_?
I don't even know which university MEXT plans to send me to, as I had 3 LoAs.

Dear all, I applied MEXT 2011 and luckily passed second screening.
As I will be enrolled as research student in the coming April, I feel that there are a lot of matters need to be settled before we start our new journey in Japan!
let's share abt the preparation works to be done, such as dormitory application, visa blah blah blah :p
i m going to Tokyo Medical and dental university. Secretary of my prof said she helped me to apply dormitory in Odaiba or Ichikawa. How abt you all?

I agree with prettybunny about sharing experiences about preparation before going to Japan
I'm worried because I don't know which exactly the university that I am coming this April. Maybe I have to wait until February to know. So I have no information about preparing house, visa, or what things I should bring along with me when I come to Japan. 🙂

As far as I understand, it is only once we receive our final confirmation in February, (informing us which university we will attend) that the international centre of the university will send us documentation allocating us to residences etc. Up until the letters arrive, we have to just wait some more.

If you don't want to live in the residences, I assume you will have the option to opt out.

Thanks taints,
I think living in the dorm may be the best way for me. And I would like to try a homestay too, that could help me to understand more about Japanese. Moreover, Renting a house in Japan is not easy then...

thanks for the replies, guys ~

as I only submitted one LOA, i believe mext will send me to there :)

on the other hand, maybe we can talk abt how much cash we should prepare to bring? according to my friend who was mext scholar last yr, he mentioned that we would only receive the scholarship money starts from second month, because need to wait us to open a bank acc in Japan. Therefore we have to prepare enuff money to survive through Apr.

and the luggage, omg i have so many things to bring!
but i guess hv to sit down and list out those necessaries that must be brought first

a lot of preparations to be done but i am so looking forward to it, cheers~ :)

As Prettybunny I also submitted only 1 LOA and was already contacted for the accommodation.

In terms of money, a friend of mine who is in Japan now, said that she was given the scholarship after 3 weeks and she spent about 800 euros. She is living in Nara so I guess the cost of living there is much lower compared to Tokyo or any other city.

We have to wait till february

As far as I understand, it is only once we receive our final confirmation in February, (informing us which university we will attend) that the international centre of the university will send us documentation allocating us to residences etc. Up until the letters arrive, we have to just wait some more.
If you don't want to live in the residences, I assume you will have the option to opt out.
I was told the same thing; even if I have my LOAツ´s the final confirmation of location is not certain yet. MEXT has the final decision

For me, I'm going to University of Fukui
I've been told that I'll have a free accommodation for one year, which is a special grant from the university
Other than that, I'm removing my tonsils since the weather their is really cold and I'm having constant tonsil infections already
I'll sell everything I own here, take my gratuity for one year service in my current company plus some money from my parents. This should be sufficient for more than one month
I might start making some online friends by mid-February coz I really don't like feeling lonely :-S
Starting from yesterday, I'm checking the PO Box periodically for the final acceptance letter...

normally, it's your first choice if you passed the MEXT screening. Better to make a list and add to the list from time to time. I would bring some medicines and the things that are extremly expensive in Japan.

normally, it's your first choice if you passed the MEXT screening. Better to make a list and add to the list from time to time. I would bring some medicines and the things that are extremly expensive in Japan.

flidar, do u mind to share what are the things that are extremely expensive in Japan?

flidar, do u mind to share what are the things that are extremely expensive in Japan?

Fruits, apartment rents, the Shinkansen, visiting the doctor if you don't pay your health insurance.

Hi everybodey, this is my first post heer😌
What bank acount can we get in japan?

If you are a MEXT student, you open a bank account in the Japan Posts bank and they transfer the scholarship there.

Well, add to what Peter has said, in my list, I've added some medicines such as those that can stop bleeding, itching, for headache, cold, fever, and for skin hurt. Also, I gotta prepare for a stamp with my name on it as it's used more popular in Japan than to sign. Also, maybe half a small box of instant noodles in case I haven't found any fair restaurants to have meals when I first arrive there. And a swiss army knife with multiple usage.
What's more, maybe some local snacks that you are really into.
Not the finish of the list, and I'm going to add more from time to time when I can think of any, while I'm searching for the information of living in Japan on line.

Well, add to what Peter has said, in my list, I've added some medicines such as those that can stop bleeding, itching, for headache, cold, fever, and for skin hurt. Also, I gotta prepare for a stamp with my name on it as it's used more popular in Japan than to sign. Also, maybe half a small box of instant noodles in case I haven't found any fair restaurants to have meals when I first arrive there. And a swiss army knife with multiple usage.
What's more, maybe some local snacks that you are really into.
Not the finish of the list, and I'm going to add more from time to time when I can think of any, while I'm searching for the information of living in Japan on line.

Thanks flidar :)
ya you mentioned the stamp.. I heard from a lot of ppl that we will need a stamp/seal with our name when we apply mobile or bank acc
but i dun quite understand, isnt easy to get a stamp with just name on it?
i mean, it is not difficult for ppl to steal my stamp or replicate one, so why a stamp is preferred than our own signature?

ya you mentioned the stamp.. I heard from a lot of ppl that we will need a stamp/seal with our name when we apply mobile or bank acc
i mean, it is not difficult for ppl to steal my stamp or replicate one, so why a stamp is preferred than our own signature?

As far as I know (I had a stamp when I was in Japan), you have to register the stamp at your local office. Then you will be able to use it, and I guess when it's stolen, you can go to the local office and make it invalid.
However, your name will be in Katakana anyway, so that stealing is somehow not making sense, especially if you are Japanese. :p And actually the stamp is common for signing, maybe because it's easier to read?! Don't worry, I found it convenient, it's just a matter of getting used to it. :)

I asked a lot of Japanese about it, and they all said it's necessary to get a stamp. Though some banks began to accept sign, but still there are some other things that sign cannot be accepted. I also heard that the stamp is uique for everyone, and it's good that you register it at the local office. So be sure not to lose it cuz it might bring you some big troubles. I was thinking about making two identical stamps and bring to Japan. I have a stamp here which I self-made when I was in primary school with my Chinese name on it. I don't know if it can be used in Japan. I actually planned to take it. But if it's only katakara that is allowed for foreigners, then I'll have to buy some new ones. I don't know the price of making a stamp with your name on it in Japan, but I'm sure in my country, it's much cheaper, so I guess I'll ask some Japanese about how to write my name in katakara correctly, and then go to make it before I go there.

There are a variety of stamps in Japan. For all intensive purposes you would not have to spend more than 1000 yen. It's not that big a deal until you get there and it doesn't take long to set it up. You will need it eventually though, they require it for lots of things.

Nihonkara nyusu mada konai!

Hi everyone, I am a little worried about not having received any news from any japanese university. I passed the second screening in my country, they cut the places from 7 to 5, now only 5 of us is going to Japan.
As I read the post I see some of you already have been contacted for accomodation issues and such, I donツ´t even know yet in what university I will be placed. Is here someone in the same situation? My first option and my letter of acceptance is from Waseda University. My tutor last mail was:
"Dear Vasquez-san,
Thank you for your mail. I understood that the documents have been sent to our institution. No notice from our Department of International Academic Rlations has so far been given to me. Let me tell you when one comes to me.
!Muchas gracias!
Kawaguchi"
We have a very friendly relationship, But I donツ´t know what is happening, I will be located somewhere else? I will be located somewhere at all?
Thanks for your help, all of you have been given very important information.

Hello

I received an e-mail from Waseda University:

"Dear MEXT students,

Greetings from the Center for International Education, Waseda University !!
We were contacted by the MEXT about your placement in our university, and
here we will provide very important information about your arrival.

There are three different files attached with this email which are as below:

1)★2011Spring_Schedule
2)★2011Spring_Pre-departure Info (Japanese)
3)★2011Spring_Pre-departure Info (English)"

My professor/tutor also answered my mail, telling me he has not yet been contacted By MEXT, but he is right now in Paris and going to Madrid.

So they have not yet contacted my professor, but they contacted me as the rest of the MEXT students, so this means that I can be placed in Waseda right?, well, let's wait for the oficial letter from MEXT.

oh I really want to study in Waseda

I want to quit my job!!!

I was contacted by Waseda too ! I think it's pretty much settled we're going ;)
Is anyone going to look for an apartment in tokyo, or everyone going for the dorms ?
Do you know if rules are applied in JASSO dorms, such as curfew times and no visitors ?

dear all~ i was contacted by ryugakuseika that I am going to stay in Komaba International House! anyone is going to the same dorm?

By the way, will any staff from Komaba come to fetch us when we reach narita airport or we have to go to the dorm by ourselves? If it is the latter then I have to do some homework to figure out my way after reaching Japan!

Back
Top Bottom