What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Pop-up windows

Would you feel very bothered by a pop-up window at the J-Forum?

• Definitely, forget the idea!

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Doesn't bother me.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I'm not sure about it.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Depends on the pop-up.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I contemplated about using pop-up windows at the forum, asking people to register. These windows would be closing automatically after x seconds and would only affect unregistered users. I am aware of the fact that a lot of users feel bothered by pop-ups and close them without viewing them...

I'm still undecided, what's your opinion?

kinjo

Sempai
Reaction score
I have never ever read a pop-up, I close them as soon as they appear mainly due to the reason that they never reflect the site or page that I'm visiting ( I dont go visiting that much???), but if it reflected the forum and to register here it could prove to be a vaulable addition, I voted"I'm not sure"
Thomas I know that didnt help at all,but if I go visiting some sites tonight I'l be a little more wiser and I'l get back to you

shintemaster

先輩
Reaction score
No way, If people want to register then they will do so, without pop-ups. I don't know many people that even let them open before closing them. They chew bandwidth for no good reason.

StorDuff

先輩
Reaction score
I agree, pop ups don't work. I've never let one load, except for those X10 cams or whatever that do it in the background...

If anything, guests getting a popup will think registered users get them too and be put off by it.

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I already gave that idea up.

vinkee

I'm a Canadian
Reaction score
I've just registered yesterday, but why do I still see that popup window titled "Welcome!"? It says:
Welcome to the
Japan Reference Page!

Since this is your first visit, we hope you will enjoy our site. Please do not forget to sign up to our newsletter. Also take a look at the Japan Forum, our online community.

Thanks for visiting!
Certainly, this is not my first visit anymore...

• Admin

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Hm, either you have deleted and/or disabled cookies or you're visiting from another work station.

Hoyu

先輩
Reaction score
I would prefer a pledge drive before a pop-up here!

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I've already skipped the idea of using popups, since I'm generally not very fond of "aggressive marketing". It's satisfying to know that visitors sign up because of content, not because of smart Javascript tricks.
:)

lineartube

free spirit
Reaction score
I use mozillla mainly because of its pop-up stopping power. :)

Luxpyre

先輩
Reaction score
Here we go, I'm going to kick the dead horse... :)

I don't think pop ups are a good idea. I kind of get a bad feeling about sites that has popup windows. I use popup stopper to copletely halt popup windows unless I allow it. They are just a nuisance.

Uhnhuh. Kicked the dead horse. 😏

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
I'm not so fond of Opera, as it still does not render tables correctly. In case I have to enter "dangerous terrain" by visiting dubious sites with pop-ups or self-installing scripts I resort to Phoenix, a scaled-down Mozilla derivative. I just love the tabbed browsing options Mozilla offers.

AutoBot11

\テカ/
Reaction score
yup, ur right ... but i've been using it since the version 3, so ... i've seen it evolving :D
the version 6.05 works fine on almost every site
the big advantage is that it can handle 8 connections to a site (ie & moz can only use 4)

but i still have mozilla in case ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom