What's new

Obsolete POLL on Rep system + The no rep club.

Does the rep system benefit the forum as a whole?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
22 Jan 2004
This isn't one of those polls when I'm going to carefully keep my opinion secret. I think the reputation system is a needless and frivolous flourish which, particularly when it's taken too seriously, causes more trouble than it's worth.

As such I'm opening this poll and as a token on my 'seriousness' forming the No Rep Club.

All members of the No Rep Club should pledge their desire to have the rep system removed, vote to give up their rep in this poll and (optionally) include "Member of the No Rep Club" in their signature.

I've voted for "it doesn't do any harm". I don't really get why such a big deal is being made of it...it can be easily ignored! No, it doesn't really benefit the forum, but I just see it as a bit of fun!

jovial_jon said:
I've voted for "it doesn't do any harm". I don't really get why such a big deal is being made of it...it can be easily ignored! No, it doesn't really benefit the forum, but I just see it as a bit of fun!
I use to tend towards that view but things like the recent kerfuffle about asking for rep votes put me in a more pessimistic point of view.

Yeah, the recent kerfuffle has made me pessimistic as well. I think it would have been a good idea if people had followed the guidelines. Then you could feel as though you're actually doing something worthwhile instead of rambling about nothing, and that people appreciate your insights, etc., but it's been cheapened to the point of no return, it seems. I wouldn't mind if it disappeared.

I agree that people requesting points was a bit irritating but hopefully with Maciamo's recent announcement of rep point rules it may now be used in the correct way. I think it's a nice way to let people know you liked what they said. I think it'd be a shame for it to be removed, but hey, we'll see what kind of results the poll produces. I am curious to see what other people think...

Well, I'm not voting, cause I would say, "I think that it could." But then again, that could just as well be a vote for "not at all," because I don't see this working out like it's supposed to.

Glenn said:
Well, I'm not voting, cause I would say, "I think that it could." But then again, that could just as well be a vote for "not at all," because I don't see this working out like it's supposed to.
I admit that I was overly pessimistic in one respect when it was first introduced - I didn't think it would catch on.

As far as it 'not working out like it's supposed to' I think there was a fair point made by that chap* who accused it of being basically an indication of how long somebody had been posting.

For example NHK9 is a new poster with not much rep but he probably knows more Japanese than me and (if he keeps on posting) could be more useful in the forums. Despite that it would take him ages to catch up with my score.

* E.g. I can't remember who it was at all.

I'm not so sure about that. Did you see how quickly mikecash caught up to all of the other "high scores?" It didn't take him long at all, because he almost exclusively makes helpful and insightful posts.* So I would imagine that NHK9 would be the same.

*That's when he isn't being a wiseass. 😲:D

[Edit] It was TwistedMac who said that high rep=oldie on forum.

[Edit2] Moved to Site Feedback/Admin Contact.

Last edited:
jovial_jon said:
hear hear.
whatever jovial says on this topic, double it up. he gets to be my representetive.

Glenn said:
*That's when he isn't being a wiseass. 😲:D

KIK! :D

But no, mikecash's points are well deserved, I believe.

I was not a fan of the reputation points system to begin with. I thought it would cause more harm than good, but after people started using it more, it didn't seem as bad as I thought it was going to be. That is, until recently. I believe that it was taken a little too far in the "reputation points" thread and it was also taken too far in PM agreements, agreements in chat, signatures that advertised it, etc. If you're getting points because you begged for them, can you honestly say you deserve them? It has become nothing more than a status symbol for a lot of people.

As to whether I would like the reputation system to stay in place or not, I'm not sure. In some ways it's good and in some ways it's bad. It's okay if it's not taken advantage of, and even I have been guilty of that.

So no, I don't think I'd care if it was done away with. And...*sigh*...it really wouldn't matter if I had my balls removed...*gasp* :(

I think the system is nice; it's a nice way of other members showing appreciation for the effort and time that their fellow members give to the forum. Of course, like any other system it has it's own flaws, mainly by people that want repuation points just because the balls look pretty or want to feel better about themselves. The genuine good members dont ask for repuation points. I like the repuation system so that I can "award" someone if I like what they have to say, an information useful given to other members, of if they help me in some way with a forum related issue. All the balls that I got were because of my posts and not because I did secret agreements or schemes, and all the reps that I have given were because I actually enjoyed the posts I read. And also, we all know here who deserves the repuatation they have, and who doesn't no matter the size or amount of balls they have. So anyways, just beacause some looters and moochers have been abusing the system don't regard it as bad, just try to abide by it's rules yourself and don't be contaminated by the evil around you. :p

Yeah, perhaps the reputation of members should carry itself through posts, and not green balls (although kochisho's red balls were certainly earned).

I think this solution would be much better here:
on another forum, people can choose for themselves if they want reputation points, and if not, they can disable their reputation points. In that case, only a small black dot is shown in place of the rep points with the notice "xyz has disabled rep points".
This way, the "no rep club" dudes could have their wish and have no rep points, and those who want to keep them can keep them.

No, I like this system, and I don't want to see it eliminated. I think it did get out of hand recently, but only because a lot of people (myself included) didn't fully appreciate the seriousness of the system and the rules involved. When I first heard about this system, I thought it was going to be some type of ego or approval thing. But after experiencing it firsthand, I think it's a wonderful way of dealing with trolls and troublemakers. It helps keep troublemakers in line, while also allowing the rest of us to benefit by getting the chance to let others know how much we appreciate their posts. I don't ever want to see a situation where troublemakers have power and we don't. Under this system, they have to earn the right to participate around here. If they don't, everyone will know that they have red balls and are not very well liked as a result. This system allows all of us to have a voice about that sort of thing, so I definitely vote for keeping it!! 👍

I think the rep system is good i give rep to who i deem helped me out or if i liked something that they said. Yes i have given people points for stuff they have done in the chat IE- helping me find something....or saying something of good instite to help me through my day. Even though it was not posted it doesnt make it any less helpfull or insiteful. I will give rep to whomever I want for whatever I want the rep points were made to be given and thats what i am going to do. And i am growing tired of all of these peopel b!tching and moaning beacuse people are asking for rep....take a minute and think upon that you are doing if someone asks for rep is that hurting you in anyway....will that devastate you for the rest of your life? Of course it wont people just need to stop finding one thing after another here to b!tch about. People like myself come to the forum seeking refuge the friends i have made on this forum are the only ones i have...then when i come in here and see stupid infintile crap like this thread it makes me want to vomit. Beacuse peoples lives are so sad they need to complain about something so miniscule as rep. I mean if the rep system is bothering you so bad quit complaining and post something helpful and insiteful so that you may earn rep. Sorry to go on a "rant" there but stuff i said has been a long time comming so deal with it.

And for gods sakes people grow up!

picked "I'm not sure either way" Because i use to be a big fan of the reputation point system. IT didn't seem like it was being reached to the masses of the forum so i was one of the first people to drop it in my sig and spread it to the forum. It was the same message the entire time promoting people to use the system. And this begging for points!? It just blew me away that some people were begging...i hadn't even heard anybody asking for any. Probally because the number of my post has declined now that people have been using the system.Pm Agreement as well!?!? yeesh!? But all that petty. So i'm kinda indifferent on the points thing. It was good but i can do without 😌 :p

Lina Inverse said:
I think this solution would be much better here:
on another forum, people can choose for themselves if they want reputation points, and if not, they can disable their reputation points. In that case, only a small black dot is shown in place of the rep points with the notice "xyz has disabled rep points".

Upon consultation with Maciamo I have enabled this feature for most of the usergroups. As you can see, I have also joined the "no rep club" and traded my radioactive balls for a simple black pearl.

🙂

thomas said:
Upon consultation with Maciamo I have enabled this feature for most of the usergroups. As you can see, I have also joined the "no rep club" and traded my radioactive balls for a simple black pearl.
Woo! We get to vote with our feet. :D

Thank you.

I hereby remove all of my glowing green balls(and the plain green ones too).

Now...I will burst into tears... 😭

Thanks, Thomas, for giving us that option...*sniff*

kirei_na_me said:
I hereby remove all of my glowing green balls(and the plain green ones too).

No need for tears. Your rep remains untouched. Also, you will be able to receive rep, it is just not displayed.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom