What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Poll: How do Japanese girls like men to dress?

CA_Wix

先輩
Reaction score
Of course this is different for everyone, but I was wondering if the Japanese women of this forum could chime in.

For example, if you were going on a first date with someone what is important? What do you like to see him wearing? Casual? Formal?

In USA we are very casual, so just a nice polo shirt and jeans (and maybe baseball hat?) is usually fine for a first date (among mid to lower 20 something year olds).

I am very aware that I am in a different place and different opinions about what is "cool" and what is "frightening" is different.

Also any tips about what to do would be great. I am bringing her an omiyage from Fuji.

(you can read our history from the "Was it something I said" forum"

Thanks in advance. You guys are great!

WiX

Gackt21

Gackt's Queen
Reaction score
Of course this is different for everyone, but I was wondering if the Japanese women of this forum could chime in.
For example, if you were going on a first date with someone what is important? What do you like to see him wearing? Casual? Formal?
In USA we are very casual, so just a nice polo shirt and jeans (and maybe baseball hat?) is usually fine for a first date (among mid to lower 20 something year olds).
I am very aware that I am in a different place and different opinions about what is "cool" and what is "frightening" is different.
Also any tips about what to do would be great. I am bringing her an omiyage from Fuji.
(you can read our history from the "Was it something I said" forum"
Thanks in advance. You guys are great!
WiX

I like kind of a mix between Casual and Formal. Just dress nicely is what like. You don't have to look like a model or anything, just be yourself. I would say dress to impress but feel free to put yourself into those looks.

Being yourself is cool for me. Don't try to be more or less than yourself.

Kinsao

Horizon Rider
Reaction score
Well, I'm not Japanese, but I have read on here and in some other places that Japanese culture in general favours a greater sense of 'style' for guys than some other countries e.g. England, US... so maybe it's a good idea to err rather more on the 'smart' side, not going overboard, still being yourself of course :p but a little bit more than most basic 'casual'.

For example the Italian men have generally a greater sense of style than English... (I'm not trying to single out Japanese people... it just varies depending on the country.)

It is always better to look a little 'too smart' than end up feeling scruffy :p I am sure she will appreciate it, it's good to look like you've made an effort for a first date, then you can relax more next time around :) (also it depends where you are going, more casual for the zoo than a restaurant!)

Top Bottom