What's new

Politeness?

Tomii515

やった~!
16 Feb 2006
Hey everyone!

I just want to ask a quick (maybe? lol) question:

I've realized that in Japanese there's informal, formal, honorific/humble forms of speaking. So, the question is when does one use each one?

I know that the informal is used with close friends and family members. And that you use the formal with strangers, teachers, etc. So, when does one use the honorific/humble forms? Like, with your boss, or some other types of people...? I just don't want to offend anyone if for some reason in the future I should use one specific type rather than another. 😌

Thanks!

-Tommy

Probably in like meetings, company president, dealing with customers and such. I don't think you'll really be expected to use Honorific forms any time soon so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

At your age (15, I think?), I wouldn't worry about honorifics and humble forms, which is something that working adults use in business and consumer/customer situations, although it is always nice to "know" what they are.

The "standard" form (usually ending in -desu and -masu) is usually polite enough for everybody. 👍

Ahh, okay. And yeah, I just wanted to know in case of future reference, and cause the chapter I'm on in my book is teaching it now lol. But thanks both of you!

Back
Top Bottom