What's new

Please translate this flag. I am trying to locate names and places.

UselessCause

Registered
Reaction score
I came across this flag at an estate sale. Could you please advise as to the proper method of saving this material? I went to a framing company and they wanted to hang it upright by "stapling" the material to a back. I will not allow the flag to be damaged but am afraid I am not caring for it properly. It was stuck in a plastic bag at the garage sale and is still in the same bag.
flagjapanese.jpg

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The flag is upside down.
There is no recipient's name or place name.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Toritoribe-san, what did you think of the phrase "長驅の千里" . I've never heard of this before, and when I put it into a search engine all I get back are Chinese websites or other Chinese references. It's the first time to see this phrase on a flag, and I wonder if it exists in Japan, or if it is a Chinese person's attempt at trying to render a Chinese phrase into plausible Japanese.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The third kanji is 及, not 乃:emoji_wink:. It's 漢文調 Chinese-style Japanese(or Japanese-style Chinese) 長驅、千里に及ぶ, meaning "Your run/ride reaches a thousand miles away." The flag seems to be genuine to me.

UselessCause

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your time and efforts. I appreciate it very much. Since there is no name I will be happy to keep it, otherwise I would return it if possible. There also was Flying Tiger stuff in the sale, of which I got one piece.