What's new

Please translate these names to Japanese

gonegirl

Registered
14 Nov 2017
How do I say,
[1] Grace Torres (my name),
[2] Sufian (another name) and,
[3] Sayang (sayang means a term of endearment like honey, darling, sweetheart) in Japanese?

Thank you so much for the help.

1. グレストレス (guresu toresu)
2. サフィアン or スフィアン (Safian/Sufian) depends on how it's pronounced
3. サヤング (sayangu)

Without hearing them said that's my thought on how they would translate. Please note these are all katakana so they're just how they would sound in Japanese and wouldn't hold any meaning. If you want original meaning to carry over you would likely lose the sounds. It's mostly suggested to have phonetic translations of names if they're not based off a Kanji system initially. (please anyone feel free to correct me on anything)

Maybe I'm a bit of a pedant, but names typically cannot be translated. They can only be transliterated into other writing systems, or mispronounced in whatever way native speakers of another language would be likely to do so.

I'm curious, why exactly do you want these names and this Indonesian word transliterated into Japanese?

Hi OoTmaster, first off, I would like to thank you so much for the answer. Thank you.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between グレス and グレイス?
and would my characters in Japanese have a spacing between grace and torres?

Also, for your reference, sufian is pronounced as
ṣūfiyyan. Does your answer still valid?

Sayang is pronounced as sa yang.

Thank you very much for your time, OoTmaster.

Maybe I'm a bit of a pedant, but names typically cannot be translated. They can only be transliterated into other writing systems, or mispronounced in whatever way native speakers of another language would be likely to do so.

I'm curious, why exactly do you want these names and this Indonesian word transliterated into Japanese?

Hi, JuliMaruchan, thank you for your time and information. Thank you very much. I would like those names for leather embroidery on personal items of someone dearest to me who passed.

Thank you so very much.

Grace is usually transliterated as either グレース or グレイス, not as グレス. Either of the first two are fine, and they are spoken the same, so go with your preference.
Torres is usually transliterated as either トーレス or トレス, depending on how long the first vowel sound is when spoken. トーレス is probably better.
Sufjan Stevens has his name transliterated as スフィアン. If your friend's name sounds similar, then go with that.
Sayang is usually transliterated as サヤン, not as サヤング.
Edit: Regarding your question about a space, you can add a space, or put a dot between the words, like this: グレース・トーレス

Last edited:
Grace is usually transliterated as either グレース or グレイス, not as グレス. Either of the first two are fine, and they are spoken the same, so go with your preference.
Torres is usually transliterated as either トーレス or トレス, depending on how long the first vowel sound is when spoken. トーレス is probably better.
Sufjan Stevens has his name transliterated as スフィアン. If your friend's name sounds similar, then go with that.
Sayang is usually transliterated as サヤン, not as サヤング.
Edit: Regarding your question about a space, you can add a space, or put a dot between the words, like this: グレース・トーレス

Thank you very much, joadbres, for your input and detailed answer. God bless. One last thing, if I may, could Katakana be written vertically? and if so, vertical katakana should be read from top to bottom, and then from right to left, no?

Note that for vertical writing, "ー" is written vertically, not horizontally (i.e. it's a line from top-to-bottom instead of from left-to-right). Lots of people who don't know how to write katakana get this wrong.

Back
Top Bottom