What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Please identify these two kanji

Joined
26 Feb 2004
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm translating a video game into English for practice and fun and I'm stuck on these two kanji. At present I've no means to capture them as I don't have a digital camera so I've tried to redraw them. One is simple and I don't understand why I can't find it, I've found much more complex ones. The other is more complex and I hope my rough drawing will make it clear to someone.

They appear on my television screen at small sizes for short periods so although I've videoed them its difficult to draw the more complex ones accurately.
 

Attachments

  • kanji01.gif
    kanji01.gif
    410 bytes · Views: 75
  • kanji02.gif
    kanji02.gif
    444 bytes · Views: 66

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
Joined
22 Jan 2004
Messages
2,187
Reaction score
57
edwinbradford said:
Hi, I'm translating a video game into English for practice and fun and I'm stuck on these two kanji. At present I've no means to capture them as I don't have a digital camera so I've tried to redraw them. One is simple and I don't understand why I can't find it, I've found much more complex ones. The other is more complex and I hope my rough drawing will make it clear to someone.

They appear on my television screen at small sizes for short periods so although I've videoed them its difficult to draw the more complex ones accurately.

The first one could be a squiggly そ, the second one looks vaguely like 亜.
Of course this would be a whole lot easier if you said what comes before and after them!
 
Joined
26 Feb 2004
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Doh! That's a good idea which I can easily do, why didn't I think of it?

????????????????????????????

I've already replaced the first character with ? as I think you're right but you'll be able to see now and the second character is currently a question mark. Hopefuly in a month I'll have a DVD Recorder then I can easily copy from the TV screen to my Mac and upload kanji I don't understand as they appear on screen. This is fantastic help, many thanks for the prompt reply. Edwin.
 
Joined
26 Feb 2004
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
OK here it is as a gif, can you tell me why it was that the Japanese characters didn't show up? They show fine on my machine.
 

Attachments

  • kanji04.gif
    kanji04.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 69

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
Joined
22 Jan 2004
Messages
2,187
Reaction score
57
edwinbradford said:
OK here it is as a gif, can you tell me why it was that the Japanese characters didn't show up?
What browser and OS are you using?

'nyways let's see what you've got ...

やがてそれはナマニクとなり、かぎりなく_いチカラとなった

Well that's enough to summon forth the Power Of Google!
geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Bingo/5661/bancho/intro.html

イロのないドーブツたちはカラダにヤセイをためこんで
やがてそれはナマニクとなり、かぎりなく強いチカラとなった。

なかでも6枚のナマニクを身につけた動物番長と呼ばれるものが
この世界の王となり、全てのヤセイを喰いつくそうとしていた。

このままではすべてのヤセイは消えうせ、世界は死んでしまうだろう。
 

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
Joined
22 Jan 2004
Messages
2,187
Reaction score
57
Hmm, coming to think of it I think I played that game a bit - first impression wasn't too good, and then my hard disk died and I lost the file before I could try it any more.
 
Joined
26 Feb 2004
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Well, that's got to be about the coolest thing I've seen this year. That completely blew me away, talk about lateral thinking, genius. Of course, once I translate a sentence I can see if anyone has it online, double Doh!

Thanks Paul, that's fantastic. Finally, I'm using OSX on an Apple Mac. Think that might cause a problem? I'll just add a small test: $B;d$NL>A0$O%(%I%$%s$G$9!#(BThanks again, that's made my week.
 
Joined
26 Feb 2004
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
hmm, it went crazy after the first two characters. It was meant to say watashi no namae wa edoin desu
 

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
Joined
22 Jan 2004
Messages
2,187
Reaction score
57
edwinbradford said:
hmm, it went crazy after the first two characters. It was meant to say watashi no namae wa edoin desu

Let me guess - you were using Japanese (ISO-2022-JP) aka Japanese (JIS) ?

If you can - stick to Japanese (Shift-JIS) or Japanese (EUC).

With _Windows_ working in Western European (paradoxically) works best at the moment. However I guess that doesn't work with your OS. There are a number of threads floating around about this - but see if that helps so far.
 
Joined
26 Feb 2004
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Thanks Paul, I'll see what I can find out with a search, you were right though - I did have my encoding set to (ISO-2022-JP). Another test : 私のなまえはエドインです。
 
Top Bottom