What's new

please help with interpretation of news report

letslearn

先輩
11 Sep 2013
こんにちは皆さん、
Can I please ask for some clarity on part of a news story I am reading. It is in regards to a new smart phone that Sharp is releasing. Here is the paragraph.
ウエアラブル端末の液晶パネルは現在、スマホ用パネルが使われている。シャープの新型液晶は電力を多く消費するバックライトをなくし、太陽光などの光をパネル内で反射させて液晶を表示する。自ら発行しないため、真っ暗な場所では画面が見られないが,電力消費を大幅にカット。パネルには半導体メモリーを内蔵。画像を一定時間記憶させることでデータ転送の電力を減らす。
Of particular interest to me is the section
シャープの新型液晶は電力を多く消費するバックライトをなくし、太陽光などの光をパネル内で反射させて液晶を表示する。自ら発行しないため、真っ暗な場所では画面が見られないが,電力消費を大幅にカット
Is it saying that the new phone comes with out a high energy consumption backlight. It uses things such as sunlight to reflect on the panels interior to light the display.

The next part I'm not sure what it is trying to state.
In order as to not self alluminate???? In a dark place you can't see the display?? Drastically reduces power consumption?

Last edited:
自ら発しないため

~ため expresses the reason/cause, not "in order to~" there.

自ら発しないため

~ため expresses the reason/cause, not "in order to~" there.
Thanks toritoribesan,
In that case is it suggesting that
Because it doesn't make its own emissions, it can't be seen in dark places. However it drastically reduces power consumption.

Yeah, that's right.
FYI, ~ため can't mean "in order to~" when used with non-volitional verbs. This is the reason your initial interpretation can't be valid (発光しない is non-volitional in that context).

Yeah, that's right.
FYI, ~ため can't mean "in order to~" when used with non-volitional verbs. This is the reason your initial interpretation can't be valid (発光しない is non-volitional in that context).
ありがとうございました

Back
Top Bottom