What's new

Please help, i am extremely desperate-writing essay comparing zen to indian buddhism

pquarter

後輩
12 Apr 2011
New member, just found this site.

I am working on a paper which is due tomorrow:( comparing Zen buddhism to Indian buddhism. So far I have had zero success in research.

Differences between the two which I have found so far are the use of Koans and the more independent route to enlightenment which Zen takes. So far that is pretty much all I have.

If anyone could help me out, maybe pointing me in the right direction I would be forever indebted to you.

Thanks a lot

Found these after googling for ten seconds
i suppose i should have added i cant really use those as resources, i need scholarly sources or at least somewhat credible sources to write my paper. i have seen those sources and the answers are good but i need to be able to cite the stuff.

Have you tried searching "Zen Buddism" and "Indian Buddism" seperately?
i have and i have found some stuff but i am having incredible trouble drawing parallels between the two. i am having trouble finding articles which talk about the same thing (eg epistemology) so that i can compare them properly if that makes any sense.
this is for a Buddhist philosophy class btw

Last edited:
update

I have started writing my paper. I have found several sources which are rather helpful now. I am focusing on the different approach to enlightenment that both types take. I am saying Zen is a less conceptualized pathway in which the person finds sunyata on their own, while in Indian buddhism the paths are more clearly defined.

Does that sound accurate to you guys at all?

Hi there, Sorry maybe my input is not in time, but I found this website
which gives comparison between Zen and other Buddhism. Concise answer and with refreneces. Hope will help in your subject.
Good luck!

safwan

I am working on a paper which is due tomorrow:( comparing Zen buddhism to Indian buddhism. So far I have had zero success in research.
Differences between the two which I have found so far are the use of Koans and the more independent route to enlightenment which Zen takes. So far that is pretty much all I have.
If anyone could help me out, maybe pointing me in the right direction I would be forever indebted to you.
Thanks a lot

Hi it's me again! The website is : sokahumanism.com
Safwan
Hi there, Sorry maybe my input is not in time, but I found this website
which gives comparison between Zen and other Buddhism. Concise answer and with refreneces. Hope will help in your subject.
Good luck!
safwan
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
The website is: sokahumanism.com
I might be totally wrong, but I doubt that this is an unbiased source, also given the fact that the poster - judging by his email address - seems to be part of that organisation.

I might be totally wrong, but I doubt that this is an unbiased source, also given the fact that the poster - judging by his email address - seems to be part of that organisation.
Thomas, you can dispel your doubt by simply viewing the contents of the suggested website. You cannot judge with closed eyes. A Buddhist philosopher, TienTai, said that: to seek the truth - this requires courage [and facing the evidence]. I mean we should not fear the opinion of others even if we heard rumours about them.

In the suggested article about "Zen and Nichiren Buddhism" all the mentioned sources of reference were ZEN originated (such as copies of Zen koans, websites of Zen schools etc...) while Nichiren statements were taken from his writings in 13 century Japan. There is no bias here, just copying from both sources. I can assure you that I did not fabricate Zen koans mentioned in the website, just scanned them from a ZEN book, and the photo-scan is there. Please treat this experience as a training on how to judge something with reason.

The Cult of Ikeda?
Mike, Ikeda and the world peace movement of SGI described the forces of racism and nationalism as "cult of power" - explaining the destruction they caused to millions of families during the war. Please open your heart to humanity and to the wonderful world of global citizenship.

Back
Top Bottom