What's new

plans for a two week stay

laryx

後輩
7 Jan 2007
Hey all
I hope some of the people here are willing to give me some advice.
I`m going to Japan around September this year and I will be staying for 2 weeks.
I`m interested in culture and pop culture and so far I know I want to visit tokyo (akihabara and Ghibli museum are a must) and I want to visit the beautiful temples at Kyoto .
Should I move on after that to another town? if so which do you recommend?
Or is two weeks barely enough for Tokyo, Kyoto and the surrounding area?

On another note, I would like to visit a small rural town for a day with rice fields, any recommendation for that?

thank you in advance for your time.

Hey all
I hope some of the people here are willing to give me some advice.
I`m going to Japan around September this year and I will be staying for 2 weeks.
I`m interested in culture and pop culture and so far I know I want to visit tokyo (akihabara and Ghibli museum are a must) and I want to visit the beautiful temples at Kyoto.
Should I move on after that to another town? if so which do you recommend?
Or is two weeks barely enough for Tokyo, Kyoto and the surrounding area?
On another note, I would like to visit a small rural town for a day with rice fields, any recommendation for that?
thank you in advance for your time.

Two weeks is plenty of time. Go to G-FAN.com - The home of G-FAN Magazine, G-FEST, and G-TOUR - Brought to you by Daikaiju Enterprises Ltd. and click on the G-TOUR button. From there, go to the Itinerary page, and you'll see what we got to see during a 10-day tour. You should get some good ideas from that.

If you are mainly interested in your pop culture, then spending a good chunk of time in Tokyo is never going to be wasted. You could easily spend a week there without running out of things to do. Kyoto would be a refreshing change and the temples, shrines and castle are well worth it.

One option for you is to break up the time in Tokyo by taking day trips to some of the surrounding sites. Nikko is a tremendously atmospheric place and easily manageable in a day trip from Tokyo. You'll also pass by many little farming villages on the train so will see the rice fields - note in September they will be harvesting so you probably wont see flooded fields if that was what you were after.

Travelling to Hakone or Fuji Five Lakes could be another excursion from Tokyo.

A lot depends on whether you want to get a feel for variation across the country, or concentrate on the pop culture etc. If you want to travel around, then seriously consider the Japan Rail pass. There are other posts in this section that cover the pass and suggested itineries so I suggest you give them a look :)

Amos

Back
Top Bottom