What's new

Planning to learn Japanese

spellekubus

先輩
22 Nov 2004
Hello,
I have a queston.I am gonna try to learn Japanese.But I cant go to a school who teaches Japanese or go to Japan or something(I am only 15 :p ).So you guys got any advice on what to learn first and on what sites.I already searched some sites and stuff but they aren't very good :eek: I list of all the letters would be usefull as well.And if I am right there are 3 alphabets.One with over 2000 letters and 2 with much less letters.So what alphabet is used in Japan?thats very confusing for me :p
Anyway i hope you guys can help me and thanks in advance 🙂

Roy

Please search in our forums. LOTS of people ask these questions and there's some really standard answers. You need to start off learning the Kana and then get a good beginning text book like 'Japanese for Busy People' or the Genki series. There's no easy or inexpensive way to learn Japanese.

As soon as I get the time I'll try to find a few helpful links for you. Someone else may beat me to it though.

In the meantime, welcome to the Forums! Please don't be shy, be polite and try to have a thick skin. :D

Hey there spellekubus. I am 15 also. There are three "character types." Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. Kanji being the 2,000+ category. I have completed the Hiragana and now I am working on Katakana. If you want to you can email me. It's in my profile. Good luck and welcome to the forum ^_^

Japanese-Online.com is one

1. beware of know-it-all foreigners trying to spout their japanese knowledge (this doesn't include me :) because i freely admit that i don't know anything :D)

2. i forgot number two
edit: oh yeah! don't get discouraged by japanese people that are/will be offended by a faux pas. just apologize profusely (if desired -- to mend relationship), learn, and move on. make new friends

3. this is the best time to learn! it's biologically proven (no links) that people of younger ages pick up on languages easier -- because their rules of language aren't set in stone? dunno

4. good luck!

list

im gettin a list of hiragana n katakana characters off my sensei cuz i cant do it through open high school if i got it u want me to send it to u?

ffrost_nova622 said:
im gettin a list of hiragana n katakana characters off my sensei cuz i cant do it through open high school if i got it u want me to send it to u?
That would be very very helpful,plz send it to me my mail is : [email protected] (its my msn as well so everybody can add me of he/she wants)

@Eve i dont know a word chinese :(

I found a good sheet of Hiragana characters but when I try to write it down I find it damn hard to do that,someone has any tips?

I have wrote most of them down now,but I find it vey hard to learn them.Someone has some tips how to learn it or some memory aids?

Last edited:
If you can spend a little bit of money ($10.17), THIS is exactly what you need. It's how I learned the Kana. Somewhere there's a version of this book that has both the Hiragana and the Katakana book together in one volume, but I can't find that on Amazon...

i have 90 30 minut lessons of of japanese ogg format very high quality only about 4.5mb each it is a sure thing to teach u japanese there are also 90 cultural lessons about 2 minuts each witch u learn as u learn the language hmmmm u see i donno if i should share it with every coz the more that can speak jap the more competition for me la~~ haha

Mishima_Kazuya said:
i have 90 30 minut lessons of of japanese ogg format very high quality only about 4.5mb each it is a sure thing to teach u japanese there are also 90 cultural lessons about 2 minuts each witch u learn as u learn the language hmmmm u see i donno if i should share it with every coz the more that can speak jap the more competition for me la~~ haha
I bet you got helped by someone as well :p Well,if you want to please give those to me :D

@funtt how does that book actually teaches Kana?By making excirses?
If it works i think I will buy it ^_^ And do you know as well how long it takes until it arrives?

Thanks all for your replies :D

I have learnt like 30 Hiragana characters now(started todat so my brain is a little overloaded because I had to do homework as well :p).
But I learnt all from European characters to Hiragana but isnt it better to learn it from Hiragana to European characters?

ffrost_nova622 said:

hehe Im an open high student too!! you doing beginners or continuers? Im doing beginners

I have learned all of the hiragana and 26 charictars of the katakana. I didn't use any books or anything... I just made flashcards and then I would practice writing the charictars until I had them all down.
It is much cheaper than a book but it might not be as effective.

I agree with what ForkAgentSmith said. I did the same thing. It is easily cheaper (practically free), but nothing is better than a good book called "Genki" or "Japanese For Busy People." I have downloaded the JFBP 1 and workbook before. I don't have it anymore, cause it looked really helpful. Now I am gonna buy that book. I am also buying a Kanji Dictionary and a Grammar Book. The hardest thing for me is Grammar, you know, the sentence structure, topic/verb/subject/ets markers, and the verb conj. So with that said, a book would definetely be better. But if you are 15 and live in a small hick town called Sylacauga, Japanese.About.Com sounds really good...... Though I know all Hiragana, and only 10-15 Katakana (that's what I get for not studying in like 4 weeks) I still need a book!! So if you are planning on learning Japanese definetely look in to a book. Also, the audio cd's and cassettes are really useful, so look in to those too.

Ja
Brad

open high school

:( i cant do it through open high school...so sad one of my other friend is doing it too. But the good ting is a et freee lessons from my sensei every friday after school...but its a extension class

BamaFan2989 said:
I agree with what ForkAgentSmith said. I did the same thing. It is easily cheaper (practically free), but nothing is better than a good book called "Genki" or "Japanese For Busy People." I have downloaded the JFBP 1 and workbook before. I don't have it anymore, cause it looked really helpful. Now I am gonna buy that book. I am also buying a Kanji Dictionary and a Grammar Book. The hardest thing for me is Grammar, you know, the sentence structure, topic/verb/subject/ets markers, and the verb conj. So with that said, a book would definetely be better. But if you are 15 and live in a small hick town called Sylacauga, Japanese.About.Com sounds really good...... Though I know all Hiragana, and only 10-15 Katakana (that's what I get for not studying in like 4 weeks) I still need a book!! So if you are planning on learning Japanese definetely look in to a book. Also, the audio cd's and cassettes are really useful, so look in to those too.

Ja
Brad
I have no problem w/ the grammar.Since I know the grammar of 6 languages pretty well.

Six?

spellekubus said:
I have no problem w/ the grammar.Since I know the grammar of 6 languages pretty well.
SIX LANGUAGES?????????????????????????????? :? whoa....pretty impressive i only know two which is english n canto :p lol

lol, I know one, English that is. haha. I know some minor Spanish, we have to kinda though. WOW, that is impressive....

BamaFan2989 said:
lol, I know one, English that is. haha. I know some minor Spanish, we have to kinda though. WOW, that is impressive....

C'mon BamaFan! Your like me, you know at least two languages already! I know English and Redneck! :D

Back
Top Bottom