What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Pitch Accent

Michealin

後輩
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the help you've given me thus far. As some of you know, I have a roleplay character named Koyama Ryuu from an alternate Sengoku Era. She took up professional wrestling under the ring name Shinobi Hime (Princess Shinobi) after arriving in the present. As I've not used her in that capacity in years, I'm transitioning her into a comic book character. That transition makes me want to include pitch accent in her surname and ring name. How close are the pronunciations below?

Koyama: [kò̞.yǟ.mǟ] (no pronunciation given on Wikipedia; absent from Wiktionary)
Shinobi: [ɕì.nō̞.bʲī] (correct according to Wiktionary)

Michealin

後輩
Reaction score
Would've edited in the Wikipedia mentions Kōyama [kò̞ː.yǟ.mǟ] as well, if I'd thought to do so in time. But, the pesky edit timer's making me post again about it.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
小山 is /コ]ヤマ/, i.e., type 1 (the accent is on the first mora).
忍 is /シノビ=/, i.e., type 0 (the accent is flat), and 姫 is type 1 /ヒ]メ/, but the compound word/name 忍姫 is type 3 /シノビ]ヒメ/.

Michealin

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you Toritoribe.

Currently, I have Koyama Ryuu as 小山 竜 [kó̞ꜜyä̀.mä̀ rʲɯː]. Does the inclusion of her given name shift the accent to type 3, or are family and given names accented separately?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
It's the latter. The accent doesn't change. They are still type1 /コ]ヤマ/ and type1 /リュ]ウ/. Notice that Shinobi is not her surname, and Hime is not her given name, either. That's why "Shinobi Hime" acts like a compound word "Shinobi-hime" as same as かぐや姫 or 親指姫.

Incidentally, if Shinobi is her surname, the accent is type 1 /シ]ノビ/. Similarly, if 小山竜 is a compound word, it's type 3 /コヤマ]リュウ/ (and this word is interpreted as a kind of dragon, not a combination of surname and given name).

Top Bottom