What's new

Pimsleur Teaches Life Skills

Ben W Bell

先輩
13 Sep 2004
I'm working my way slowly through Pimsleur level one and have completed the 9th lesson. What an interesting lesson, teaches you real life skills. How to ask a girl if she wants a drink with you. How to ask what time she'd like a drink with you. How to ask another time. How to ignore her protestations of no. How to not get the point. How to, after she finally gets across that she doesn't want a drink with you, ask her if she wants to go eat with you instead. How to get told you don't understand and how to act dumb. I couldn't help but laugh.

Good course though.

You're kidding? Haha... In the Genki book series I use, there is plenty of odd stuff as well. A girl jumping off a building to commit suicide, walking in on someone getting dressed, and the best one is when we learn the word for Sexual Offender in Chapter 22, then get to USE it when we get a picture the young Japanese character in the book gets felt up by an old woman in a train.

Don't suppose you have screenshots or the dialog?

Only the first 12 lessons or so of Pimsleur are that way. The rest of it involves you talking about how many children you have, where they are, talking about your "big" daughters, travelling to Tokyo to meet friends and boring stuff like that. But the first 12 lessons (or so) are hilarious.

It's done just to give you a good example and a context for the sentence structures you're learning, but it is quite amusing.

Emoni said:
You're kidding? Haha... In the Genki book series I use, there is plenty of odd stuff as well. A girl jumping off a building to commit suicide, walking in on someone getting dressed, and the best one is when we learn the word for Sexual Offender in Chapter 22, then get to USE it when we get a picture the young Japanese character in the book gets felt up by an old woman in a train.

Don't suppose you have screenshots or the dialog?

So the nihongo course I am on also uses this book, or at least would if we could get any. Seems they are hustling the book store, wholesale price has gone up nearly 100% since same time last year! You believe that?

So can you scan the entire thing and email it over for me please ?? :sorry:

(Legal disclaimer: I am in no way encouraging plagerism)

On the comment regarding learning the language for 'sexual offender', and suicide'; As both refer to (from what I understand) quite high profile social issues in Japan, you are quite llikely to come across these topics in conversation in Japan I feel.

Certainly do not mean to imply these are not issues here in the U.K. also....

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom