What's new

Peter Webber to Direct Japanese World War II Epic 'Emperor'

Davey

先輩
Contributor
5 Feb 2005
The movie sounds interesting especially because it has indeed not really been covered in movies, but I'm sure it will stir up some feelings about what is true and what isn't. I wonder who will play in it, although I think that we definetely see some of the "letters of Iwo Jima" actors and maybe Hiroyuki Sanada (who has proven to have great English and acting skills by by performing in various movies and even played the role of of fool Royal Shakespeare Company's millennium production of King Lear for which he was made a Member of the British Empire (MBE) by Queen Elizabeth ll. Hiroyuki Sanada テァナ毒クテァ窶敖ー テ・ツコニ津、ツケ窶ケ - The Fool ("King Lear") 1999-2000 - YouTube)

What are your thoughts about this upcoming movie?

[h=2]The film is a co-production of Fellers Film and Krasnoff/Foster Entertainment.[/h]Peter Webber is set to direct the historical epic Emperor, set in the days immediately following the Japanese surrender at the end of World War II when Gen. Douglas MacArthur and his staff decided not to pursue war crimes against Emperor Hirohito..
Yoko Narahashi (The Last Samurai),Gary Foster (Daredevil, Sleepless in Seattle) and Eugene Nomura(Tajomaru, Surely Some Day) and Russ Krasnoff (The Soloist) are producing.
Inspired by true events, Emperor focuses on American Gen. Bonner Fellers, a leading Japanese expert who works on MacArthur's staff and is put in charge of the Hirohito case. The story is interwoven with Fellers' love affair with Aya, a Japanese exchange student he had met years earlier in the U.S.
"The end of World War II in the far east and the relationship between General MacArthur and Japan is a part of history which has been largely unexplored in film. With most documents burned, historians have relied on accounts which are being debated to this day," Foster said.
Narahashi, who runs Fellers Film with Nomura, said the project is important in that it is a joint Japanese-U.S.-U.K. movie.

read the whole article

Back
Top Bottom