What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Pension necessary for PR visa?

Mark of Zorro

先輩
Reaction score
Hi all! Its been a long time!

Simple question with probably not a simple answer. Is it necessary to be enrolled in the national pension plan to qualify for a Permanent Residency visa? Or is it just better or recommended? Or does it not matter at all?

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
According to this website, it can be difficult to get approval for Permanent Residency if:
  • you have not been paying taxes (not only the national tax but also residential tax),
  • you are unable to obtain your tax certificates,
  • you have not been paying the social security health care levy or pension levy, or
  • you have other problems such as a minor traffic offence.
Perhaps other PR holders here on the forum have more info on that requirement, however, your best bet would be to contact your local immigration office.

And welcome back! :)

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score
Why only PR?!?

Proof that you're paid up for both health and pension should be an included threshold for any visa renewal.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Why only PR?!? Proof that you're paid up for both health and pension should be an included threshold for any visa renewal.

At the Tokyo Regional Immigration Office, I have never been asked about my pension plan.

jt9258

先輩
Reaction score
I was never asked about my Pension either.

They only require documents to prove that all taxes are paid.

The Health Insurance is regarded as Tax, this is why if you are in the City office Scheme
it must be paid in full, even if they give you time to pay, immigration will regard it as
unpaid tax as that is how it will be listed on the Tax certificate you obtain from city office.

So make sure all taxes are paid.

Last edited:

Glenski

Just me
Reaction score
I know people with PR that have not enrolled in the pension plan. Why wouldn't you want to get it?

Mark of Zorro

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses. I know these matters are often murky. Plus they often depend simply on what pencil pusher has got his mitts on your application.

To answer you question Glenski, I don't trust pyramid schemes, and I don't see how this one has kept going or how it can keep going much longer. I have heard of people who did not get any money out despite what they put in and the reason cited was they didn't pay one or two yen, which was actually a bureaucrat's mistake. I would rather be homeless than imprisoned and I am just the type to make big headlines if I got so screwed over. Nope. I am good with working until I drop.

Also, my current situation is too tight to afford any more expenses. Health insurance alone is completely killing me.

musicisgood

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses. I know these matters are often murky. Plus they often depend simply on what pencil pusher has got his mitts on your application.

To answer you question Glenski, I don't trust pyramid schemes, and I don't see how this one has kept going or how it can keep going much longer. I have heard of people who did not get any money out despite what they put in and the reason cited was they didn't pay one or two yen, which was actually a bureaucrat's mistake. I would rather be homeless than imprisoned and I am just the type to make big headlines if I got so screwed over. Nope. I am good with working until I drop.

Also, my current situation is too tight to afford any more expenses. Health insurance alone is completely killing me.

If your health insurance is high, are you enrolled in the National Health Insurance?
If so, my understanding is that it is based on your income. So you mentioned it is killing you... So you must be on the high income level then and yes it can cost you 70000 yen a month, but more likely you making 700000 to 900000 and up yen per month.
If your income is low or very low and depends maybe on your age, it can be as low as 3500 yen a month. So in a way, something doesn't add up.
Its a very simple solution you might want to adhere to: join the Japanese system of doing things right, if you don't , the day will come when you are at the city office and find out you messed up. One of the quickest ways to find out is move to another city and register with the city, that is how they catch people not up to par in the system. If you plan on cheating the system, you are better off leaving Japan soon. Even the Japanese when they get old find out how foolish they were.

johnnyG

先輩
Reaction score

Your rationale seems stupid, to be honest.

On the one hand, you're paying health insurance, something you may never use. You may never 'get anything out of it'. That money is gone--completely. Somehow you seem okay with that.

On the other hand, you're claiming pension is "murky", involves "pencil pushers" with "mitts", is a "pyramid scheme", mention people who "did not get any money out despite what they put in", and other crap like that. And this is something that you will eventually collect a benefit from--either a payout or a refund.

Why don't you add being sick and uninsured to being "homeless and imprisoned"? What if you are unable to work until you drop?

Get off your ridiculous soapbox and pay what you are supposed to be paying.

Tho people are apparently not asked about it, proof of enrollment in health and pension systems should be a threshold requirement for the renewal of any visa, not just PR.

jt9258

先輩
Reaction score

Being married and having dependents reduces your overall cost of health insurance.

Being in a company scheme means that the whole family can be included on the company
scheme as dependents.

Being in the city office health insurance scheme would also mean that you could claim
an exemption for the national pension, had you joined it.

Doing things the right way can result in lower costs and still result in benefits.

Top Bottom