What's new

PBS is Pushing; Victory in the Pacific (DVD)

TuskCracker

後輩
17 Jan 2004
PBS (Public Broadcast Stations) is pushing this documentary; American Experience: Victory in the Pacific (DVD)

Its pretty good, and goes into the strategies to discuss how to end the war with Japan;
_a) Invade
_b) Blockade and Bomb
_c) accept an agreement proposed by the Japanase military

Two items I got out of this;
_1) One historian thought the United States could have accepted an agreement offered by the Japanese military in 1945. He was the only one that thought this could have brought the war to a close without the use of invasion or atomic-bomb.

_2)The other item was that the fire-bombing of Tokyo and many other cities caused many civilian deaths. But today, we know that the Japanese military was seem un-concerned about the huge loss of civilians lifes and the suffering that was occuring. From documents, the Japanese military during 1945 did not even bring up the massive suffering of civilians in Tokyo and other major cities from fire-bombing. It was not an issue for them in 1945. The civilains suffering in Tokyo (and other cities) was massive. Their was interviews with survivors of the fire-bombing where someone next to them died.
This issue of the Japanese military being almost totally unconcerned on the impact of war on the japanese civilians was a major issue in this documentary.

I'm glad you brought this up. I saw these documentaries recently and thought they were amazing. It really shed some light on the way things were at the time and explained the reasons. It kind of changed my perspective on some things. I don't know if I want to open this whole can of worms, but, I've always been completely against the use of the atomic bombs. But after seeing what a desperate fight this was and seeing that America had to do something huge to force Japan to surrender, or they'd continue to fight until every last man, woman, and child in the country (not to mention casualties on the other side) were dead, I can kind of understand why they did it. These are things I always knew about that war, but this documentary made me understand it a little better. Although I still think it's a terrible thing for any military to attack civilians. But I guess to fully understand the issue you have to take into account the circumstances and the way things were at the time.

Back
Top Bottom