What's new

Partner question

Pepe

先輩
18 Jun 2006
I have done a bit of a search, both on this forum and Google wise, but found little answer to my question, so here goes nothing:

My better half and I are looking into the possibility of spending a year or so in Japan working as language teachers. The first part of my question therefore is; what do language schools hold of the idea of employing couples? The second part complicates the first - although my education covers classical English, my better half (in all honesty, she is a whole lot better than I am in all regards) is fluent in Italian and German, with English being her 'second' language. Are there any schools that would employ her as an Italian/German teacher, as well as myself (as an English teacher)?

Thankyou in advance!

The short and simple answer is "Nova".

There are more caveats to that short and simple answer than you could shake a stick at, though.

Are you married to your better half? I don't know about the specific policies, but I don't forsee it being a problem at any of the private Eikaiwa like Nova, Aeon, ECC, Gaba, Berlitz, etc.

You mentioned that English isn't your partner's first language, but as long as they speak it well they should be fine. Most places require that you be a "native" speaker of English in order to teach it, but from what I saw, it was about as strictly enforced as stoplights in Vietnam. I'm sure there are places that teach German and Italian, but I'm guessing they're harder to find and the demand wouldn't be too high. She should try some of the online bulletin boards like www.findateacher.net for setting up personal lessons (which will probably pay a bit better anyways).

Many schools provide housing, but it is geared towards single occupancy. And, in Japan, that is tiny.

Some employers consider hiring couples, but there are many who balk at it for a few reasons:
1. Both people are likely to be on vacation at the same time, thus creating the need to get twice as many replacements.
2. Both people are likely to live together, so housing can be a concern.
3. If they are a couple, they might have arguments that would be taken to work.

Whether an employer thinks of you as a couple based on being married or not, a more serious point concerns your eligibility for work visas. Do you have bachelor's degrees? What are your nationalities?

Be very careful about NOVA right now. It is in fairly deep trouble over legalities on returning student fees, and it has been stopped from taking on any new students for a while. The climate at NOVA is not good. Another employer to consider for languages other than English is Berlitz.

As an aside on the visa issue, if you are married, and one of you gets a work visa, the other can apply for a dependent visa and special permission to work (part-time only). So, both of you don't necessarily need work visas.

Unfortunately we are not married (yet), and don't intend to until we move to Italy permanently.

Regarding qualifications, my better half has a Bachelors degree in Communications, and I will finish a Bachelors with a double major in Psychology and Politics (odd mix, I know - shotgun theory) before we leave for anywhere.

We are both born German - although we met here in New Zealand, what a weird world - and we therefore hold German passports. But I also have the luxury of a New Zealand passport as my mum's a kiwi.

It seems that Berlitz would be our best bet, but I need to do more research on all our possibilities. Thanks to all for your help - if there is any more info that would help you in forming an answer to my question please ask away!

I love this forum 👍

If you are German, you can get a working holiday visa, but you have to return to Germany to apply for it. It will come in about 2 weeks. You can apply for that NZ WHV in Kiwiland, if you like.

I can't give you any info on visa-related matters, but here is a place where the German language is taught seriously. I think it can be considered an option:

Goethe-Institut Japan

Thanks for the tips so far. I will look at the possibility of us working for two different employers as it may circumvent some of the issues noted.

Back
Top Bottom