What's new

Participial construction

4 Apr 2014
How are participal phrases formed in japanese? When i need to say stuff like "the station we just passed" or "the medicine i've just taken" what do i add to the noun? ます stem + の like 通り過ぎの駅? Or maybe simple past form + な like 飲んだな薬? (probably none of the above is correct) Also would there be any nuances between "the medicine i've just taken" and "the taken medicine"

Re: "the medicine I've just taken" and "the taken medicine", in some cases this can be clarified by the right choice of verb form, i.e. if your wallet was stolen you'd want to use passive form:
盗まれた財布

You would use 盗んだ財布 if you were talking about the thief on the other hand (if someone was caught by the police and had stolen goods on him, for example).

Note: you can use more than just a single verb as modifier and these things can nest, e.g.:
妹が作ったケーキを食べた弟

Note2: You can modify not only the object but also the subject, target, etc, just by putting the modifying clause before the head noun. Unlike the relative clause in English, any relative pronoun is not needed.
e.g.
昨日(tenporal word)たかし君が(subject)本屋で(location)妹に(target/indirect object)絵本を (direct object)買ってあげた。
Yesterday, Takashi bought a picture book for his sister at a bookstore.

たかし君が本屋で妹に絵本を買ってあげた昨日
yesterday when Takashi bought a picture book for his sister at a bookstore

昨日本屋で妹に絵本を買ってあげたたかし君
Takashi who bought a picture book for his sister at a bookstore yesterday

昨日たかし君が妹に絵本を買ってあげた本屋
a bookstore where Takashi bought a picture book for his sister yesterday

昨日たかし君が本屋で絵本を買ってあげた妹
Takashi's sister for whom he bought a picture book at a bookstore yesterday

昨日たかし君が本屋で妹に買ってあげた絵本
a picture book Takashi bought for his sister at a bookstore yesterday

Note2: You can modify not only the object but also the subject, target, etc, just by putting the modifying clause before the head noun. Unlike the relative clause in English, any relative pronoun is not needed.
Glad to know that. Relative pronouns are not necessary in russian language either, so it sounds quite natural to me. Less clutter, more versatility - way to go 日本語!
Re: "the medicine I've just taken" and "the taken medicine", in some cases this can be clarified by the right choice of verb form, i.e. if your wallet was stolen you'd want to use passive form:
盗まれた財布
You would use 盗んだ財布 if you were talking about the thief on the other hand (if someone was caught by the police and had stolen goods on him, for example).
That's exactly what i wanted to hear! Thanks a lot.
Try a few to see if you have the hang of it.
すみませんが、通り過ぎた駅は品川駅ですか。
借りた本を無くさないでください。

Another related question. When i want to transform 夜神君は黒板に名前を書いた。 into "That thing on which Yagami-kun wrote his name is a blackboard" where do i put object's particle (in this example に) or do i just omit the it like 夜神君は名前を書いた物は黒板です。?

夜神君名前を書いた物は / の*は黒板です。

*の is a pronoun, not a nominalizer, in this case.
は can't be used for the subject in a modifying clause.
黒板 is treated as target(対象), not object(目的語), in Japanese grammar. 名前 is the object since it's indicated by を.

Back
Top Bottom