What's new

Our reasons for naming our screen names

Sgt. Wang

後輩
9 May 2003
I probably didn't sum this up pretty well in the subject, but I mean like why my name is Sgt. Wang. My name is probably a poor choice of words, because it could be mixed up with other meanings........;)

I did my name because in Iowa, people aren't really that cultured on other languages, so when they heard I went to Japan a lot, they gave me a nickname, Wang! It's kinda horrible, and racist though....... I put Sgt. before it because my father served in the military and people called me sgt. wang a lot, even though I haven't had anything to do with the military!!!!!

Aw! That's great though. Racist yes. But cute nonetheless. Mine is based on my real name...being Silvana. I have billions of nick names and silver is one of them. A guy-friend of mine said a few years back " Silver your like an angel!" So I stuck with the whole Silver Angel bit. It was better than Demon Child....but that was a thing in the past. ツャ_ツャ''
I also use Hug Monkey and Skittlez and Sil-Chan

Silvana is a very pretty name. I use to use the name skittles but that was back in the day to be perverted. I use neptunemoon cuz I love sailor moon. Me and my friends all chose what character we would be and since there was only 5 of us and like 13 sailor scouts we got to me more than one. I am sailor neptune, sailor moon, sailor saturn, and sailor star fighter. Well I love neptune as one of the best cuz I like water and I took the old saying the many moons of neptune and voila neptunemoon. For my aim name I just added 44 cuz 4 is my fave #. Long story I know gomen.

I wondered about your moniker, Sgt. Wang! That's a great explanation too.

I love the name Silvana, SilverAngel!! That's a great name! I don't think I've ever heard it before, and I really like names that aren't common. In fact, I have a friend whose name is Faline, and she's the only person I know with that name. She said her mother got it from the movie "Bambi." I also like your moniker ... very appropriate.

And I really like the moniker Neptunemoon too!! That's a really cool name!

I chose Satori because (1) it's Japanese, and (2) it means "enlightenment," which I thought was nice. But my real name is Shelley, so there's really no connection whatsoever!! LOL!

jeisan is the romanji of the katakana for my name, jason :)
not too many "jeisans" on the net either, i like it.

Well, mine is kind of silly. My best Japanese girlfriend would always say "kirei na me da ne" when she would see me. It just became kind of an ongoing thing...

Dream Time is the name of a character in basketball comic Buzzer Beater by Takehiko Inoue (the author of basketball hit comic Slam Dunk),
he is a basketball genius

I like dreaming,whether it is the kind of dream you get while sleeping,
or dream about your future

I just find the Shroud of Turin to be a fun little mystery.

Has nothing to do with Japan, or my worldview, but it makes a nice avatar (thinking of changing it though). So incase you were/are wondering... my name is not "Mandy," nor am I am "lion" and I am not Christian, or for that matter very religious, either.

I am a huge fan of former Iron Chef Japanese Masaharu Morimoto's cuisine... hence the name. And yes, I can cook (quite well in fact) in case anyone's wondering 8-p
:)

Kirei_na_me: What does your moniker mean, exactly? What is the translation?

DreamTime: I like your moniker too. I agree dreams are important--whether through sleep or daydreaming. I read once that Jimi Hendrix used to leave time for himself during the day within which to merely daydream. He got his best inspirations that way ... and song lyrics!!

Mandylion: You explained your avatar, but what does your moniker stand for? And what avatar are you thinking of ... maybe something to do with martial arts?

IronChef: I like your moniker too. And, hey, someone who can cook is worth their weight in gold, as far as I'm concerned!

Originally posted by Satori
IronChef: I like your moniker too. And, hey, someone who can cook is worth their weight in gold, as far as I'm concerned!

I would definitely have to agree with you there... ;)

Anyway, "kirei na me" means "pretty/beautiful eyes".

Satori -The Mandylion (man-dill-ee-on) is probably just the fancy name for the Shroud of Turin (ie. the burial shroud which is said to have covered Jesus and bears an image not made by human hands). However, because of a lack of historical documentation, it is hard to tell if the "Shroud of Turin" is, or is not, "the Mandylion." Records before the Shroud arrived in Turin make reference to some object in the town of Edess which has an image of Christ not made my the hand of man. But since the Mandylion was moved around a bit, it is unclear if the Mandylion of Edess (first mentioned 594 AD) is the same thing as the Shroud of Turin (first appearing in France around 1357AD).

As for my avatar, I don't know...not leaning any one way quite yet.

Why is "Wang" racist? Ignorant, yes, but racist?

I've probably got the most boring reason for my screen name -- this is the login name I was given at University. Automatically generated based on my first, middle & last names. It's easier for me to remember if I am consistent with what I use.

Mandylion: Oh, I see now. I thought you were only referring to the avator, since I didn't know what the word "Mandylion" meant. It's an interesting name, though!

Mdchachi: Based on the "md" part for your first and middle initials, I guess we could call you "Dr. Chachi?" Just kidding. Actually, I like the "mdchachi" moniker.

:)

Originally posted by Dream Time
Dream Time is the name of a character in basketball comic Buzzer Beater by Takehiko Inoue (the author of basketball hit comic Slam Dunk),
he is a basketball genius

my personality is very similar to Dream Time,
very determined,
and I am not a very nice person on the basketball court,
most of my opponents do not gain respects from me,
especially when I see those people not playing hard and not respecting the game of basketball.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Satori

DreamTime: I like your moniker too. I agree dreams are important--whether through sleep or daydreaming. I read once that Jimi Hendrix used to leave time for himself during the day within which to merely daydream. He got his best inspirations that way ... and song lyrics!!

I always daydream,
I get some of my inspirations for writing music/lyrics by daydreaming

@ jeisan: hmm........ here I was, thinking your real name was jei. Hence the san prefix. Dunno,........kinda crazy

@mdchachi: I didn't really think it was racist until I heard it in the prefix they were saying it as. Kind of like people use the words 'chink' or 'slant.' Horrible, horrible words.........And many people were wondering if I was perverted because I had wang in my name lol!😄 Quite ignorant though........ I probably had a poor choice in names, but can't rename myself now!!

😲 OMG! You mean we had to have a reason for our names? :confused: Well, I guess I'm excluded, because if I knew why mine is so, then you'd all figure I knew something, and we can't have that! :D

My name is the English phonetics of how Japanese said my name in Japan, which is Matthew. Kind of funny considering I could have tried to correct them on the pronunciation better but I didn't want to seem offensive. But Mashu rolls off the tongue well and very easy for Japanese to remember compared to most other English names.

im jovial and my name is jon...jovial jon was my nickname at college - its half sarcastic and half true...when u first meet me i come across as miserable but once u get to know me im pretty damn jovial (apparently)

This is gonna' be boring Sakura, well it's my favorite word. it has pretty meaning, and it has nice sound to pronounce. I used to call myself Rinoa online, from FFVIII. But for a long time now, I have been Sakura. Although I am using Rinoa's picture for my avatar. I think she's pretty, and she gets to go out with the hero Squall.He's handsome and mysterious......hmmm......*drifts into own little dreamworld*
"Oh! It's not real! *wakes up to reality again*
hehe, sorry I'm funny:D

Gaki :

ニ狸ニ鱈 - Brat / Child = Because I look young, and I am immature. (Also a nickname given by friends. )
窶ーテャ窶ケS - Hungry Devil = Because I look thin, and also it's my stagename in my band.

Although i use the word "Gaki" to mean both ways. As in "Hungry Devil Child".

Back
Top Bottom