What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

One Universal Government?

Lestat84

Future Expatriate
Reaction score
I've been pondering some political issues and in my consideration, I tried to think about how the world would work if there were one government for the entire world. Keep in mind this is hypothetically assuming every country would agree to it. My question is this: Assuming the whole world agrees to it, would a single government for the entire world be a good idea or a bad one and why?

nahadef

Quietly exploding
Reaction score
While it would be great if all countries were made to have freedom of speech and thought, and that all countries might follow along with the wishes of the world (i.e. Japan and its whale hunting in defiance of logic and need)...

The notion of a one world police force, when considering the ability of government to abuse power, is terrifying. When America oversteps its bounds, we depend on other countries to have a dissenting voice, as with the current Russian crisis, and whatever dumb stuff China inevitably does. In practice, I think we need conflicting countries, sad as that is.

Dotanbatan

先輩
Reaction score
What you're considering there is fundamentally an Utopia, which is what man has tried and so far failed to achieve at many periods of histrory.
What in my opinion will inevitably happen, if we were to come together under a powerful 'United Nations' government is that it turns into a dystopia - best described in the incredible 1984.
George Orwell really fleshes out the fears that Nahadef pointed out above.
I expect you've read this book Lestat, if not I'd recommend it along with his other brilliant Social/political masterpiece "ANimal farm' - MUST reads.

I do however share your goals for a more united and understanding world .... the sad reality is that I think we are looking at centuries in the future for that vision to be realised.... don't think I will be around, despite the new low cholestorol diet I started last weekend !

Lestat84

Future Expatriate
Reaction score
Yea, I agree with you guys. I'm fully aware that this is an impractical idea and a Utopian dream. The abuse of police power would become a concern that would have to be thought through in the drafting of a Constitution of sorts. I suppose that all government's success depends on the people running it to carry it out properly. But in theory, the economic and social benefits would be substantial, and would improve things in parts of the world that ate undeveloped. There are a lot of great things we could accomplish if it happened, and the right people were in place. Of course it's also very possible that the wing people get in and it does become a dystopia of sorts. It's completely idealistic, but it would be interesting to try.

Haruspex

先輩
Reaction score
If my favourite flavour of political ideology was boss, sure! Otherwise, screw that!

Top Bottom