- 5 Dec 2007
- Reaction score
This list of the oldest companies includes brands and companies, excluding associations, educational, government or religious organizations. To be listed; a Brand or Company name must remain, either whole or in part, since inception. If the original name has since changed due to acquisitions or renaming, this must be verifiable on their website.
In 2009, according to the report by Tokyo Shoko Research, there are 21,666 companies which lasts over 100 years including 8 companies aged over 1000 years in Japan. There are 837 companies lasting over 200 years in Germany, 222 in Holland and 196 in France. 89.4 per cent of the company with over 100 years of history have less than 300 people.
List of oldest companies - Wikipedia
Est. Year Name of Company Type of Business
578 Kongo Gumi Construction
社寺建築の金剛組 Japan's oldest company (the world oldest company)
705 Keiunkan Hotel
1831 Takashimaya Dept-store
World economists often said .... Japan's debt is unsustainable and will go bankrupt soon or later. But those eoconomists don't know:
1. Japan's debt is Japanese asset as all the debts are financed within Japan in JPY.
2. Japan's economy is well structured to gain money from overseas as J-companies already established a network of foreign investments on real economies. Money automatically piles up.
3. Because Japan is ageing and the population is shrinking, money supply is always more than demand, and thus base rate continuue to be lower. No inflation but deflation.
4. As far as J-government can continue roll-over forever in Japan in JPY, debt is nothing.
5. Because Japan is a sovereign nation with permanent life, unlike ordinary private companies, roll-over forever is not a problem.
But even private companies, as above, there are many old companies, including 8 companies even with 1,000+ years history ! They continue roll-over for more than 1000 years!
This is Japan's Miracle, and possible only in Japan, as Japan's continuity is rockbottom.