What's new

Old Boy rip-off >_<

Hollow_Desires

abunai!
30 Jun 2007
right this is concerning a Hindi movie called zinda which totally rips off the amazing korean chan -wook movie Oldboy...I smell a lawsuit! :eek:

Similarities-
Oldboy and Zinda both tell the story of a man imprisoned for a significant time (In Oldboy, 15 years; in Zinda, 14 years) for no known reason. He is then freed with no explanation and given several days (5 in Oldboy, 4 in Zinda) to discover the reason for his imprisonment.

Both films use split screens to illustrate the passage of time within the cell, contrasting the protagonist's physical training with real life news broadcast on the cell's television set.

In both films, music plays shortly before the cell is filled with gas that renders both men unconscious. They are gassed so that the cell can be maintained, and so that incriminating evidence (such as blood samples) can be taken for future use.

Both characters are framed for their wives' murders while they are imprisoned.

In both Oldboy and Zinda, the protagonists are given a new suit and a cellular phone when they are released. Both men wake up inside a trunk, break free, and find themselves atop a building.

The ringtone of the cell phone given to both characters is the same song that played whenever gas was released inside the cell.

In both films, the imprisoned protagonist is fed a regular diet of fried dumplings. Later, he tracks down the specific Chinese restaurant (and consequently, the location of his prison) by going to several restaurants to find the exact same taste.

In both movies, the lead character's signature weapon is a claw hammer. In both movies, the protagonist tortures the prison's owner by pulling out his teeth with the claw hammer until he is willing to divulge information about the antagonist.

In both films, the protagonist single-handedly fights the guards inside the prison. Both characters are stabbed in the back, pretend to be dead, and then jump up to finish the fight. Both fight scenes are single-shots.
Immediately following this fight scene in both films, the protagonist stumbles onto the street and is aided by a "Good Samaritan" who puts him into a taxicab and then introduces himself as the antagonist.

In both films, the antagonist's lead bodyguard is a taciturn, white-haired man.

In both films, the prison owner returns (sporting a mouth full of new gold teeth) and tries to take revenge on the protagonist by pulling out his teeth with the same hammer.

In both films, the antagonist gases the protagonist and his love interest inside a motel room, where they lay after having sex. Wearing a gas mask, the antagonist lies down in bed beside them.

In both films, the protagonist threatens to cut off the hand of the prison owner, in retaliation for groping his lover. The antagonist later delivers the man's severed hand inside a wrapped box, to let the protagonist know that he is being bugged and followed.

In both films, the protagonist and the antagonist are graduates from the same high school. The protagonist was imprisoned as revenge for spreading rumors about the antagonist's sister, which apparently led to her suicide.

Differences-
In Oldboy, the antagonist Woo-jin seeks revenge on Oh Dae-su because he revealed Woo-jin's incestuous relationship with his sister to a friend, which led to the spread of rumors and the sister's suicide. In Zinda there is no incestuous relationship. Roy spreads rumours about taking the virginity of the most popular girl in his school; the rumors spread out of proportion and the young girl commits suicide. Her brother plots to avenge her death.

In Oldboy, the antagonist takes revenge on the protagonist by manipulating him into having sex with his long-lost daughter. In Zinda, the antagonist plans to sell the protagonist's young daughter into prostitution, though he relents and lets her go.

In Oldboy, Oh Dae-su is abducted off the street after a drunken night on the town. In Zinda, Balajeet Roy is abducted from the pier of his ocean-front home after dinner with his wife.

In Oldboy, the love interest works as a sushi chef. In Zinda, she is a cab driver.

In Oldboy, the protagonist has an important encounter with a suicidal man immediately after he is released on the roof of the building. In Zinda, there is no such encounter.

In Oldboy, the protagonist trains in his cell by shadow-boxing. In Zinda, the protagonist teaches himself kendo by watching Samurai films, and fights the antagonist's bodyguards with a real katana sword.

In Oldboy, the antagonist's sister commits suicide by drowning. In Zinda, the sister sets herself on fire.

In Oldboy, the protagonist cuts off his own tongue to appease the antagonist, so that he will not reveal the truth to the protagonist's lover/daughter. In Zinda, no such self-mutilation occurs.

In Oldboy, the antagonist commits suicide by shooting himself in the head. In Zinda, he jumps to his death.
----

even if they were trying to remake it in india, they shouldnt, especially without consulting the creators etc....god that pissed me off....I hope they get sued for all their money >_<

Last edited:
Old boy is better then this zinda (ahum...) rock on Korean's owh i love korean movies they are really good!

Koreans movie are special. Oldboy was great but ive heard that some american bought the rights to do other versions of the movie so its quite possible other people have too. I dislike it when someone makes a great, great movie and then someone trys to buy the success and add a hollywood budget to it and F's it up completly. Its so annoying.

There IS an American remake of Oldboy in the works... just to let you know... In literature, and film there are many many many classic cases of works which borrow from other sources.... so I don't know if I'd get all riled up about a "ripoff" of Oldboy.... this thing happens all the time.

I love Oldboy, it's one of my favourite movies, and I still want to see the remake, but I'm not at all concerned about people stealing from the plot... Plots are almost universal, the why of the plot is something different.

Koreans movie are special. Oldboy was great but ive heard that some american bought the rights to do other versions of the movie so its quite possible other people have too. I dislike it when someone makes a great, great movie and then someone trys to buy the success and add a hollywood budget to it and F's it up completly. Its so annoying.
We spoke about this in another thread... I think the consensus, well, maybe I'm just siding with myself here... okay let's just say this is MY opinion... remakes her no one, as for one, the original material would not have ever been seen by the people who see the original (this is true for movies like Ring, Grudge, etcetera)... and that on both sides Japan & the United States both borrow themes, and as well benefit from their release in alternating countries... Japan, Korea, whomever are definitely making money from a US release of an Asian film... this is not so much stealing as it is commerce.

Back
Top Bottom