What's new

old antique store photos with handwritting on back

zdzuz

Registered
16 Sep 2015
others have had trouble with the third picture calling it "kindergarten handwriting"

Attachments

• back of akiyama solo cropped.jpg
    back of akiyama solo cropped.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 187
  • back of poss seiji and yoko akiyama pic.jpg
    back of poss seiji and yoko akiyama pic.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 207
  • poss kameo akiyama.jpg
    poss kameo akiyama.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 181
昭和十六年三月二十四日撮
秋山征士
Taken on March 24, 1941
Akiyama
(family name) Seiji or Masashi (male given name)
The reading "Masashi" is also possible.

昭和十六年三月写
秋山征士
(二十二才)
洋子
(十七才)
Taken in March, 1941
Akiyama Seiji/Masashi
(22 years old)
Yōko
(female given name)
(17 years old)

秋山?夫
Akiyama ?o
My wild guess is that his real name was 昌夫 "Masao", and someone(kids) added extra strokes on it later. It can't be "kame", anyway.

this is a studio mark on one of the photos. help translating would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• matsumura studio logo.jpg
    matsumura studio logo.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 196
Why can't I memorize vocab? | Japan Forum
I totally agree with Mike-san's opinion. I always think I'd like to answer questions posted here as far as I can, but I sometimes encounter people who just throw questions and don't give us the courtesy of replying to our answers. Probably they think we are convenient on-line translators, dictionaries, textbooks or something and therefore they treat us like that.

Well, I'll thank you. I read through a lot of threads with questions and try to figure out the answers and then use your responses to check my answers and improve my understanding. I don't often respond since I don't feel I have anything useful to add. I generally bite my tongue on follow up questions since I don't want to pollute the thread.

That's not even to mention the corpus of knowledge contained in old threads here. I wish there were a section with those indexed and categorized for easy reference.

So even if the OP isn't always appreciative, there's a silent audience who find the work you, Mike Cash, and others who can be trusted as experts in the language to be extremely valuable to our learning efforts.

this is a studio mark on one of the photos. help translating would be greatly appreciated.

I believe it's 松村 Matsumura using an uncommon character for "Matsu." Matsumura itself is a common surname. So it would make sense that it could be a studio name. The bottom part read right-to-left as was common back then is 東京本郷 (Hongo,Tokyo) which is right in the middle of Tokyo near Tokyo Dome.

As others have mentioned, I think it's more effective to work on one thing at a time. There's only so many people here who have the time, know-how and goodwill to help.

thank you, i have no more translations needed for the foreseeable future. i am working on trying to clean a few of the markers but i must figure out how to do that without damaging them. i can say thank you a hundred time but it wouldnt acurately express my gratitiude to everyone hear, when i have more questions it is be cause i desire to more fully understand the context of the words, again thank you to all who have helped.

I generally bite my tongue on follow up questions since I don't want to pollute the thread.
Please do not hesitate to post those kind of questions. This is exactly the place for that purpose, and your questions must be helpful also for other members.:)

I wish there were a section with those indexed and categorized for easy reference.
I completely agree with that.

thank you all, i will look further into this aluminium foil technique. it is porros stone and round rocks but i will give it a try. again thank you for your knowledgible help

Back
Top Bottom